s i x t e e n

you got me in a free fall
you're my sweet surrender
you wrapped me in a white flag
in my darkest hours

sweet surrender
~ atc

⋅⋆∘✯∘⋆⋅

When Jeongguk opened his eyes, he wasn't too surprised to find himself consumed by darkness. It was the same for the past two nights, waking up after dreaming the same dream. It didn't take long for his eyes to adjust to the lack of a light source and he broke into a yawn.

"You're so fucked, Jeongguk." He muttered to himself, hand covering his face. "Who the fuck dreams about little boys getting molested? What is wrong with you!?"

Just then, he heard a shuffle sounding from outside his window. Jeongguk lifted his head, pondering over if he should go check it out or put himself back to slumber.

After a moment of debate, he decided he needed to clear his head anyway after such a chilling dream, throwing his legs off the edge of the mattress.

He was very caught off guard by the light illuminating from Taehyung's window. "Oh shit." He let slip as he shielded his eyes with an arm.

The brunette did a double take, Jeongguk's voice startling him. "Good morning to you too." He said, leaning against the window sill.

"It's dead at night."

"Exactly my point." A low chuckle emitted from Taehyung's throat. "Why aren't you asleep?"

"Why aren't you asleep?" Jeongguk redirected, words scratchy from his morning voice. He didn't expect Taehyung's amiable demeanor to melt away at the question, expression serious. "What?"

"I just— woke up from a dream." The brunette answered simply, gaze boring into Jeongguk.

"Really." The ravenette said, making sure his volume was loud enough for Taehyung to hear, but quiet enough not to wake everyone up, "Me too. Though mine was more of a nightmare."

Taehyung looked concerned at this. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. It's fine. It was just strange." Jeongguk met the brunette's eyes. "What did you dream about?" The longer Taehyung stared, the more squeamish he became. "What?"

"If I ask you something—" Hesitation swirled in the pool of Taehyung's irises. "— can you promise me not to get mad? Or at least... not try to kill me this time?"

Jeongguk almost laughed at that, but upon seeing the grim look on the brunette's face, his grip on the window frame tightened. "Should I be worried?"

"Maybe— actually, yes."

The ravenette's mouth opened and closed, struggling to make up his mind until he finally said "Okay I won't get mad".

"Okay." The brunette's fingers drummed against his bicep. He waited a few seconds. "That pendant you have on..."

Jeongguk stiffened.

"... is it from your mom?"

Time stretched between them as the ravenette gaped at Taehyung, providing no immediate response. A cacophony of emotions flashed across his face— the most apparent was fear.

"How'd you know?" He spoke so quietly that Taehyung could've mistook it as the wind.

The brunette licked his lip. "My dream. It was of you and your mom."

"What?"

"Yeah."

Jeongguk stared. "And?"

Taehyung remembered it so vividly. "And you were talking about—" He cleared his throat, wanting to avoid a certain word. "— that nickname. And she said every attribute of yours or anyone's is both your strength and your weakness but—"