f o r t y - f o u r

"Tae."

"Shh... shh, it's okay."

Jeongguk's eyes shot open, instantly springing into an upright position and almost smashing his head against the brunette, who was hovering over him. "Taehyung— Tae—" His hands instinctively went to where his pendant used to be, but found nothing in his panicked state.

"I'm right here." Taehyung brought him into his arms till the boy was pressed against him. "Was it a nightmare?"

Jeongguk grabbed onto Taehyung's face, turning it to the left and then right, inspecting it for any hand marks. Nothing. He sagged against the brunette, relief seeping through his body. "I thought you were hurt. I thought he hit you." Tears began to prick at his eyes.

"Who hit me?" Taehyung frowned.

"What time is it?"

"Uh, nine in the morning."

Jeongguk tugged frantically at the brunette shirt. "Can we go see Hobi, please? Now? I'm dying to tell you about the dreams b-but I'm already jumping to conclusions and I could be completely wrong cause only Hobi knows how to—"

"Hey, hey breathe. It's okay," Taehyung said, cupping his face, "We'll go see him now."

Speeding through their morning routine, Taehyung climbed down the stairs first and was surprised to see his mother in the kitchen.

"Morning, Tae." She smiled. "I brought back turkey sandwiches from the staff lounge if you and Jeongguk are interested."

He could tell right away by her tone that she knew, and the thought of his mother peeking into his room (as she always does to check up on her boys) and witnessing them cuddle each other to sleep made his face heat up.

"Actually we're kinda in a rush." Taehyung told her, embarrassed, "I'm surprised you're still here. Don't you have adult stuff to do?"

"By adult stuff you mean volunteering to watch the kids?" Ahnjong said, "I asked not to come in today, actually. I wanted to spend some time with you and Jin. You know, see what you're up to. But you seem a little occupied with Jeongguk."

Taehyung immediately felt apologetic. "I'll be back in an hour or two. Promise. And we'll have our family time."

"Tae, look at me— Oh, good morning, Mrs Kim." Jeongguk stopped in his tracks upon seeing her.

"Just call me Ahnjong, please," She replied, "I'd rather not be addressed with that surname."

Jeongguk blinked, lips parted. "Oh, sorry, okay I won't," He said quickly before Taehyung approached him with a grin, pinching at his clothes.

"You look funny," The brunette observed.

"This is your hoodie," Jeongguk reminded him, "It's a little big on me..."

"Cute." Taehyung pulled his hood up and squished his cheeks. "You ready to go?"

They scrambled to the boys' dorm, up two flights of stairs until they stood at room 201. Taehyung knocked on the door urgently.

"You think they're up?" Jeongguk asked, his upper body still drowning in Taehyung's oversized hoodie.

"Hopefully." The brunette said right as the door swung open.

"Uh, good morning?" Yoongi greeted them, his words muffled due to the toothbrush in his mouth.

"Hi we're here to speak to Hobi about our dreams, if that's okay?" Jeongguk told him in a rush, sounding incredibly formal.