f o r t y - n i n e

Carter strolled through the boys' dorm with a minor scowl on his face that he was sure to wipe off before he entered his shared room.

The air around him and his roommate had changed, lingering with the awkwardness that came since the day he kissed Jimin on the cheek.

"Hi," The pink-haired boy said quietly when he heard the door squeak open. He was playing video games from his bed.

Carter maneuvered his way around the items scattered on the floor and made it to the closet, where clothes were folded neatly in a pile. "Guess who I saw just now?"

Jimin shrugged.

"Jeongguk with this other dude."

"Mhm?"

"And they were kissing."

Jimin paused the game, almost dropping his controller in the process. He blinked for a second. "Oh," he said blankly, and he went back to playing.

Carter stared at him. "Does that not bother you?"

Jimin moved to a better seating position and stopped the game again. "Quite frankly, Carter, yes it does. But am I gonna do anything about it? No. That's his life, and I'm his friend."

The new perspective startled the blonde, who looked at him like he was ridiculous. "But—"

"Are you trying to make me jealous?" Jimin narrowed his eyes at him. "Cause it's not working."

Irritated Jimin was a very rare specimen.

"I'm not," Carter defended himself, exhaling loudly, "Jimin. I'm sorry, okay? Can we start over?"

"Start over?"

"I know I fucked our friendship up. I want to make it up to you," The blonde said earnestly.

Jimin finally slid off the mattress and turned off the television. "I'm sorry, I guess I've been a little out of it since Jeongguk rejected me. I have nothing against him— you can't force someone to return your feelings." He scratched the back of his neck. "It did kinda sting though."

Carter hesitated, then reached out and patted Jimin's fluff of hair. "I'm sorry... I know how that feels."

"Yeah. Not great."

"You know what would make you feel better?"

A shy smile graced Jimin's lips and he let the blonde ruffle up his hair and soothe it out. "Let me guess— ice cream that's the same shade as my hair."

Carter mirrored his smile. "Right on."

Strawberry ice cream had been their thing since the day Jimin revealed that his mother called him strawberry shortcake as a childhood nickname.

"Is it Friday?" The pink-haired boy asked, digging through his mountain of things for his jacket, "Oh, it is."

"So are we hanging out again?" Carter said with a hopeful note.

Jimin huffed, giving the blonde a soft smile. "Sure thing, big guy."

Brunch at the dining hall on Fridays were quite festive. With newcomers swarming camp grounds, it was only normal to welcome them with colorful banners and free dessert. Though everyone knew to steal a piece.

"That's too much Nutella," Jimin said, scrunching up his nose, "It doesn't even look like strawberry ice cream anymore."

"Don't shame my Nutella habits," Carter complained.

The pair-haired boy shook his head, resisting the urge to chuckle. Though that grin quickly disappeared when he spotted a certain ravenette sitting at near the back with his own bowl of ice cream.