Chapter 12

"It'll be a little cold at first, but it'll warm up," Dr. Seojin said before squirting a dollop of lubricating jelly.

Taeyong cringed, flinching again when she pressed the transducer against him, pushing around.

"You okay?" Daehyun asked, brushing his thumb over Taeyong's hand.

"Yeah, just a bit uncomfortable," he whispered, shifting around. Taeyong brushed his fingers against Daehyun's cheek, admiring his strong jaw before tapping his chin.

Daehyun cracked a smile and brought Taeyong's wrist to his nose, taking a breath of his scent for the millionth time today. He couldn't get enough of the sweeter scent, even coffee, a natural scent neutralizer couldn't completely cover his thicker scent.

Flinching when Dr. Seojin pressed down on his lower abdomen, Taeyong turned back to the screen, Daehyun lacing their fingers together.

"There it is," she said and in the middle of the grainy grey, she circled the dark mass covering most of the screen. "That is your uterus. And this"—she pointed to a white blob in the corner of the black area—"is the fetus."

Taeyong sucked in his breath, staring at the pea-sized spot; their baby, bobbing gently with each of his heartbeats. Taeyong pressed his lips together and squeezed Daehyun's hand.

"That's our baby."

He nodded slowly, his eyes stuck to the screen, glassy and shining. "Yeah," he breathed out.

"Should I print out a picture for the both of you?"

Daehyun cleared his throat and Taeyong smiled, nodding. "Yes, please."

With a click, the picture froze and the pressure of the transducer lifted. Taeyong took a deep breath as he wiped the jelly off and Daehyun helped him sit up.

"You can pick up the picture at the reception," Dr. Seojin said. "Is there anything else you'd like to discuss? How are you managing stress, Taeyong?"

Taeyong slipped his trench coat on and chuckled. "Just fine, doctor," he said and patted Daehyun's chest. "Daehyun and the family are very supportive."

Daehyun hummed and placed his arm around Taeyong's waist. "We're trying our best. But, doctor. Tell Taeyong he needs to focus more on himself."

Dr. Seojin raised an eyebrow and Taeyong pouted. "I'm trying to be more selfish. I'll slow down as the baby demands more."

"That's true. But listen to your mate. Now is not the time to care what someone else had for lunch. It should be the other way around."

He chuckled politely. "I understand."

Taeyong and Daehyun bowed their heads as they stepped out of the room before walking down the hall, hand-in-hand.

"I don't care what you guys eat for lunch," Taeyong started. "Right?"

Daehyun glanced at him, humming. "Maybe not exactly that, but you are a bit nosy."

Taeyong gasped. "What? Am not. How am I nosy?"

Daehyun squeezed his hand. "We'll talk about it later."

They rounded the corner to the reception table, where a nurse was closing up a small, square envelope before looking up. "Park Taeyong?"

"Yup, that's me."

She nodded and glanced at both of them, her smile widening, lighting up her otherwise sullen face. "Congratulations," she said, handing over the envelope with two hands.