Chapter 29

'"Shouldn't you be celebrating?"

Taeyong squeezed Seunghyeon's and Myungsuk's hands as they scooted closer.

The protagonist turned around to see her brother striding into the low-lit bar, sitting on the stool next to her. "You're awfully depressed for someone who should be happy. Cheer up, you're famous now."

The protagonist scoffed, staring into her beer bottle. "You celebrate for me. I'm tired."

The brother asked and waved the bartender over. "Is this about the girl?"

She snapped her head up, glaring at him. "No," she hissed before turning away, taking another sip. "She was just a plaything."

"What the fuck," Seunghyeon gasped and threw a popcorn kernel at the TV.

"Shh!" Taeyong and Myungsuk shushed him.

"Really? Because no one would believe that," her brother said, with a smirk.

"Why? Alphas play with omegas all the time, especially you."

The brother shrugged. "True. But I've never introduced any of them to the family. And I never went on daytime dates with them. Or talk to them on the phone all night. Or–"

"That's because you've only dated stupid ones."

"So she was also stupid?"

"No!" The protagonist yelled. She glanced around at the looks she got and cleared her throat, turning back to her drink. "She was smart. And witty. And talented too." A smile grew on her face. "And when she laughs, her face glows. And when I hold her small hand-" The protagonist held her hand out before closing it into a fist. "But that doesn't matter now."

"You're an idiot," the brother said, breaking the silence.

"What?"

The brother shifted to face her with a pointed look. "When you were with her, that was the happiest you've ever been. You're a fool for leaving her."

The protagonist scowled. "I had to. If I didn't then..." she trailed off.

"Listen," the brother placed his hand on her shoulder. "I know you like to think with your head, but you have to think with your heart. Sometimes it's wrong. But sometimes"–he said and the camera drew closer–"sometimes you just know they're the one."

Myungsuk let out a tiny gasp. "They're the one," he whispered. Taeyong cracked a smile and continued to watch.

The protagonist stared in revelation. "They're the one?" she asked, her voice quiet.

Her brother nodded. "Yes. She is."

"She's the one," the protagonist repeated. "She's the one!" She pushed up from her stool, her eyes wide. "I have to find her."

"What's better than regular milk? Banana milk!"

The three of them groaned.

"So many ads!" Taeyong whined, muting the commercials. He dropped his head back against the couch.

"You're the one who didn't want to wait until it went online," Seunghyeon scoffed, tugging the blanket more over his shoulder and picked up his phone.

"I didn't wanna wait," Taeyong sighed, shoving Seunghyeon's shoulder, Taeyong shifted before turning to Myungsuk. "Hello?"

Myungsuk wrapped his arms and legs around his giant alien plushie, staring off into space.

"Myungsuk?" Taeyong repeated, Tapping his nose.

Scrunching his nose, Myungsuk glanced up. "Is that how it works?"

Taeyong furrowed his brows. "How does what work?"

"That sometimes you just know?" he asked, gnawing his bottom lip.

Seunghyeon scoffed. "No. It's just in movies."

"Shut up." Taeyong glared at him. "You have no authority in that department," Taeyong said. He watched Seunghyeon typing on his phone and smacked it out of his hand.

"Hey!" Seunghyeon scowled. "I'll fight you."

Taeyong rolled his eyes and focused back on Myungsuk. "I think so." He placed his hand on his bump and a small grin grew on his face as the baby fluttered. "I mean, I remember when I knew Daehyun was the one. It was like–" Taeyong shrugged, smiling ear to ear. "It's hard to explain."

"Is it always between an alpha and omega?" Myungsuk asked, tilting his head.

"I suppose," Taeyong said. "Why else do omegas stop releasing heat pheromones after an alpha bites them?"