Chapter 57

Myungsuk brushed the tips of his fingers against the Giya keychain, its glossy surface squeaking. He had been laying on his back, staring at the keychain for days. Well, more feeling, since the stream of tears was more like an infinite waterfall.

His insides were all muddled up. He kept secrets from Taeyong and Seunghyeon because he didn't want to be teased. But he never expected them to betray him.

Maybe it was for the best Seunghyeon left. He didn't have to worry about bumping into him in the bathroom or hear his muffled music through the walls.

Myungsuk ignored the knock on his door. "Go away," he mumbled, turning to his side. Taeyong could stay at the other side of the apartment forever for all he cared. The thought of seeing him twisted his guts and made him want to scream.

The door creaked open and warm, oak-like pheromones wafted into the room. Myungsuk pulled the blanket over his head, grumbling.

Daehyun closed the door behind him and walked over, settling on the edge of the bed. "Do you remember your fall performance in 4th grade? The one where you were dressed like a sheep?"

"I was a goat," Myungsuk mumbled.

Daehyun breathed out a laugh and nodded. "Right." He hummed. "You were a cute kid. And you did great. No wonder your classmates were jealous."

Myungsuk frowned and shifted around, peeking up at Daehyun. "They weren't jealous. They said I was awful."

"Well, I can't remember as well as you. But I do remember the look of rage on Taeyong and Seunghyeon's faces when they heard it."

"Oh yeah..." Myungsuk remembered going from being cornered in the dressing room. His classmates towering over him taking turns shredding every ounce of his performance to look at everything else they didn't like about him at one moment; to Taeyong and Seunghyeon's scents and voices bursting through the crowd the next. Myungsuk furrowed his brows. "Didn't Taeyong punch someone? Or was that Seunghyeon?"

Daehyun nodded. "They both did. They were telling those kids off, but when those kids got their older siblings, it was free for all." He sighed fondly. "It wasn't until I found you three that I could step in and diffuse the situation."

Myungsuk twisted his sleeves. He recalled their sweet pheromones doused in iron from their boiling blood, mixed with yelling. So much yelling. After that, all he remembered was the scratches on their faces when they cuddled him to sleep that night. Myungsuk's heart squeezed and he looked up at Daehyun. "Why are you telling me this?"

Daehyun smiled warmly and finally turned to face him. "Because Taeyong and Seunghyeon have always been protective over you. They love you to the point of going feral if someone as much as inconveniences you."

It took a moment for Myungsuk to connect the dots. But when he did, he sat up, scowling. "Are you saying they told Insoo to break up with me because they love me?"

Daehyun nodded. "Exactly."

"And that they were right?"

"I never said it was right."

Myungsuk paused. "What?"

"I'm not saying what they did was right and you should forgive them. I want you to understand why they did it. That time at the performance, they should've gotten your parents, or even me right away."

Myungsuk pursed his lips and leaned back against his headboard.

"And now, we need to figure out what you need to do next," Daehyun said.

"What, I need to do next?"

Daehyun nodded. "Yes." He gave Myungsuk a pointed look. "Are you just going to keep sitting in this room and cry?"

Myungsuk whined and drew his knees in. "b-But Taeyong-hyung and Seunghyeon-hyung are the one who made this mess." Myungsuk sucked in his shaky breath. "They're the ones that hurt my Insoo."

"I know."

"And!" Myungsuk sat up. "It's not Insoo's fault that he has a mean family. He has to deal with them too!" Myungsuk gripped the blanket. "Everyone keeps hurting Insoo and it's not fair. He just has a soft heart. I love him so much that I... that I–"

Daehyun wrapped his arms around Myungsuk and Myungsuk clung to him, forcing himself to take deep breaths. Taeyong's scent was thick and that made him whimper.

"You have someone you want to protect," Daehyun whispered, brushing his fingers through Myungsuk's hair. "Just like how Taeyong and Seunghyeon are with you."

Sniffling, Myungsuk nuzzled his shoulder.

"But you are not them. You don't need to be blinded by instincts. You are smart and can figure out how to fix things with Insoo."

Myungsuk wiped his tears against Daehyun's shirt and pulled back. "How?"

Daehyun smiled softly and brushed a loose tear. "Talk to him. I'm sure he's waiting to hear from you."

Myungsuk nodded slowly before snapping his head up. "What about Taeyong-hyung?"

"You can tell him"– Daehyun pulled back and picked up Myungsuk's glasses from the nightstand–"that Taeyong learned his lesson," he said and slid the glasses on Myungsuk.

Myungsuk stared at him. "Did he?"

Daehyun's face tensed. "He has."

"Oh." Myungsuk lowered his gaze, squeezing his hands against his aching chest. "What about Seunghyeon-hyung?"

"I'm sure he has to." Daehyun sat up with a sigh. "I'll be seeing him after this."

Myungsuk nodded and took a deep breath. Adjusting his glasses, Myungsuk tossed the blanket aside and swung his legs over the edge of the bed. "I know what to do," he said with a firm nod.

"Good." Daehyun stood up and pulled Myungsuk to his feet. "Just remember, Myungsuk"–Daehyun patted Myungsuk's head–"No matter what, you'll always have someone in your corner."

Myungsuk pressed his lips into a tight smile as Daehyun headed out. "Um, Hyung?"

Daehyun paused. "Yes?"

"Thank you...For diffusing the situation." Myungsuk shuffled his feet and grinned. "Again."

Daehyun chuckled and nodded. "Of course."

When Daehyun left, the moment the door clicked shut, Myungsuk rushed to his desk. He grabbed a pen and slapped his notepad in front of him, flipping to a clean page.

He took a deep breath and furiously started to write.

There was no time to waste.