Chapter 17

Myungsuk stared at the auditorium. Looking at it now, it seemed so much more grand compared to the pictures online. He hugged his backpack tighter.

Seunghyeon stopped the car. "You ready?"

Watching the people in the courtyard filtering into the auditorium, Myungsuk let out a deep breath. "Yes."

Cutting through the crowd, Myungsuk spotted Insoo coming over. "Ah, there's Insoo," he said as he waved. He grinned as he got closer. He was wearing a button-up and slacks. He looked older and more refined. Myungsuk bit his bottom lip.

Seunghyeon rolled down the window. "Hey, Insoo," he said.

"Hello, Seunghyeon-sunbae," Insoo said with a bow. When he turned to Myungsuk, his eyes lit up and Myungsuk curled his toes at his smile. "You look great, Myungsuk."

Myungsuk's cheeks heated up. "Thank you. Um, you look great too."

"Thanks," Insoo whispered. Myungsuk stared at his face, taking in his scent. Without the thick scent of coffee, he could smell the subtle waft of indescribable warmth coming from him.

"Okay, okay. Both of you get out of here," Seunghyeon interrupted and unlocked the door, practically shoving Myungsuk out of the car. "I'll pick you up in a couple of hours. Okay, Myungsuk?"

Myungsuk stumbled out, clutching his backpack to his chest. He turned around and nodded. "Okay, Hyung."

Seunghyeon nodded and leaned over. "Insoo, take my number. I want updates from you." Seunghyeon's pheromones soured and Myungsuk pouted. "You better take care of him," Seunghyeon added.

"Of course, sunbae."

"That's what I like to hear," Seunghyeon said and relaxed. "Have fun."

"I will," Myungsuk said and waved until Seunghyeon pulled away from the curb and turned out of sight. He slid on his backpack and smiled up at Insoo. He shuffled his feet, gripping his straps.

"Um, here's your badge, by the way," he said, pulling out a lanyard from his pocket, the same one he had around his neck.

Myungsuk nodded and slipped it on, holding up the orange badge. Student Admission. Seat G25. "G25," he repeated under his breath. A middle seat.

"Everything okay?"

"Hm?" Myungsuk bit his lip. "We should go inside," he said, avoiding Insoo's question. It wasn't the end of the world after all.

They headed inside the domed building, Myungsuk sticking close to Insoo as his eyes darted around the crowd as they entered the auditorium.

It was full and the concoction of scents assaulted his senses. Tugging his sleeves, he followed Insoo up the stairs until they got to their row. He wanted to say sorry as they scooted past the sitting people, but he couldn't get himself to.

Once seated, Myungsuk swung his bag onto his lap and dug out his mask. He slipped on his purple, scent-neutralizing mask and sighed in relief. He glanced over, tensing when Insoo furrowed his brows at him.

"Ah, sorry," he mumbled. "I'm just feeling a bit sensitive," he explained, his voice meek.

Insoo nodded. "It's okay." Myungsuk's heart fluttered at Insoo's kind smile and focused on the stage, tugging the mask a little higher to hide his blush.

The doors snapped shut and the lights dimmed around the crowd, hushing them instantly. As the stage lit up, someone walked on. "Good morning everybody. Welcome to the Annual Minds of Science Conference here at SSNU."