Chapter 53

Myungsuk grinned as he picked up the Galactica snowglobe. He shook it vigorously and watched as the pastel stars gently floated around Sukki and Captain Giya as they stood hand in hand. Myungsuk wiggled his toes and held the globe to his chest and shuffled over to the end of the store.

"Insoo, look," Myungsuk said, holding out the snow globe.

Insoo looked up and stared at the globe. He knitted his brows together. "Hm," he hummed with a curt nod and turned back to the shelf in front of him.

Myungsuk pouted and nudged his side, holding it higher to his face. "Did you take a good look? It's so pretty."

Recoiling back, Insoo tsked. "Yeah, I saw it," he snapped.

Myungsuk froze. "Oh." Myungsuk pulled back and clutched the snow globe to his chest.

Insoo's face softened and he gulped. "Sorry, I didn't mean–"

"–Did you find anything?" Myungsuk asked, leaning over, pointing at the keychain in Insoo's hands.

"Uh. No," Insoo muttered. He dropped the keychain back into the bin. "If you're done, let's just pay," he said and moved past Myungsuk and dragged himself to the cash register.

Myungsuk tugged his sleeves over his hands. Insoo had been like this all morning. With how prominent Insoo's dark circles were and how he snapped, hurt Myungsuk's heart. The semester had just started so there weren't any assignments to lose sleep over. He gnawed his bottom lip as he followed Insoo, attempting to explain away his behaviour.

After they paid, Myungsuk swung the plastic bag as they walked back to the cafe through the narrow streets. Myungsuk lowered his mask and took a deep breath. "It's still so warm," Myungsuk cooed, bouncing on his toes. "Should we get some ice cream?"

Insoo stuffed his hands in his pocket and scuffed his shoe against the pavement. "I don't think that's a good idea."

Myungsuk's smile dropped and he tilted his head, stopping mid-step. "Why not? You love ice cream." Furrowing his brows, Myungsuk shifted closer. "What's wrong? Are you tired?"

"I'm not," Insoo huffed, stepping back.

Myungsuk blinked at him, his mind racing for an explanation. "Did your dad say something mean to you again?"

Insoo gritted his teeth, dragging his hands over his face. "No..."

"Then what's wrong?" Myungsuk pleaded. "Please Insoo, you have to tell me." Myungsuk pushed up his glasses as he wiped his eyes with his sleeve. "i-Is it something I did?"

"No," Insoo's frown dropped into a concerned look. He gently cupped Myungsuk's cheeks. "It's not you."

Myungsuk sniffled and nuzzled his palms. Even now, only Insoo's scent could comfort him.

Insoo attempted to slip his hands away, but Myungsuk managed to hold one in place. He closed his eyes and focused on Insoo's scent and warmth.

"Myungsuk..." Insoo whispered, and tugged harder. "Please, let go."

"Please tell me what's wrong," Myungsuk whimpered, tightening his grip. Every fibre of his being begged him not to let go. His instincts pleaded for Insoo to stay still, to still touch him.

Insoo took in a shaky breath and Myungsuk blinked up, gaping as tears formed, clinging onto Insoo's eyelashes. "We need to stop seeing each other."

Myungsuk's mouth fell open, staring at Insoo.

"Myungsuk?" Insoo asked as the silence stretched. He gulped and pulled his hand back, but Myungsuk tightened his grip.

"Because of the suneung?"

Insoo furrowed his brows. "What?"

"The suneung," Myungsuk repeated. "It's in thirty-five days. And I should be studying harder than I have been," Myungsuk explained and flicked his eyes back up at him. "But then after the exam is over we can see each other again, right?" It made perfect sense. Of course, his wonderfully studious Insoo wouldn't want to distract him. In fact...

"Is that why you're mad today? Because I'm buying Galactica stuff instead of studying?"

Insoo gulped and averted his gaze. "That's–" he shook his head. He tensed his jaw and tugged his hand free. Myungsuk whimpered and reached out for it, but Insoo stepped back. "That's not it. You're not listening."

Myungsuk bit his bottom lip, his cheek aching from the lost touch. "I am listening," he said. Twisting his sleeve, Myungsuk's eyes darted around for answers. "Um... Your exams start soon after the suneung. So we'll meet after your exams too?" Myungsuk could wait for sixty-days to see Insoo. He'd wait as long as Insoo needed.

"You're not listening!" Insoo growled, his scent bursting out, soaked in sharp metal that cut through Myungsuk and ripped him open.

Myungsuk stumbled back and slapped his hands over his mouth, whimpering. He squeezed his eyes shut, taking deep breaths, the static in his ears growing louder.

"Myungsuk..." Insoo's voice was frail and pained. Even now he needed Insoo's scent, just not like this.

Insoo stepped closer and Myungsuk was ready to be held, but Insoo stopped himself. Myungsuk's instincts cried out without a sound leaving his body. He wanted to run. But where would he go? If anything, he wanted to run into Insoo's arms. All Myungsuk could do was stare, struggling to hear him through the static.

"I'm sorry, Myungsuk," Insoo said and pulled out his phone. Myungsuk's eyes widened as Insoo unlooped the Captain Giya keychain. He reached out and guided Myungsuk's hand from his mouth down and placed the keychain on his palm.

Myungsuk froze as the plastic shot pinpricks up his buzzing hands, unable to look away from Insoo's face.

"I'm sorry," Insoo repeated. Blinking back his tears, Insoo turned around and headed down the hill.

What was this? What was going on? Where was Insoo going? Myungsuk whimpered as the words lodged in his throat and he clutched the keychain. With laboured breaths, Myungsuk forced himself to speak.

"I-Insoo!" Myungsuk choked out.

Insoo flinched and Myungsuk held his breath.

But Insoo didn't turn around.

"Insoo!" he cried out again, harder this time, but nothing.

Insoo kept walking. Without a wave, or a look. Without acknowledging Myungsuk at all. He just kept going and going. Until he was gone.