Chapter 44

Seunghyeon tied the ribbon into a bow and handed the box over the counter. "Have a nice day," he said, waving as the customer left the store. The moment the bell chimed, his smile dropped into a scowl.

"What's wrong?" Myungsuk asked, perking up from cleaning out the coffee grinder.

Seunghyeon pursed his lips at Myungsuk's glowing face and the twinkle in his eyes. He poked Myungsuk's nose. "Nothing, just tired." He glanced around the empty cafe. A few silent moments before the midday rush. "Myungsuk can you broom the front?"

Myungsuk nodded and grabbed the broom, bouncing over the front with any fuss. He propped the door open and started to brush the dust outside, humming. Seunghyeon rolled his eyes and turned around, pulling out the trash can.

Since that day, Kwangsun got busier and busier and the two barely spoke for the rest of the summer. To make matters worse, everybody around him was in a lovey-dovey mood. Taeyong and Daehyun. Myungsuk and Insoo. Even Yoonah and Jeanie.

"Are you sure it's nothing?" Myungsuk asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure," Seunghyeon scoffed.

"Are you sad that you haven't seen Kwangsun yet?"

Seunghyeon shot up. "Eh?" Huffing, Seunghyeon tied the trash bag, pulling the plastic until the knot was squeezed tight. "I'm not sad and it has nothing to do with him," he grumbled and tugged the bag noisily out of the bin. "He landed last night. It's not like I expect to meet him right now."

"Why not right now?" Myungsuk asked.

Seunghyeon rolled his eyes. "I can't just leave you here by yourself," he said. "Plus, I'm sure he's got other people he wants to see first."

"People more important than you?" A cheeky, familiar voice asked.

Seunghyeon gasped and whipped around.

"Hey kitty," Kwangsun said, leaning over the counter, his mischievous grin plastered on his face. "Did you miss me?"

Seunghyeon held his breath darting over Kwangsun's face. Was it just him or was he... handsomer? Something was different about him. Seunghyeon took a moment before his jaw dropped.

"Your hair!" Seunghyeon reached over but stopped himself.

Kwangsun laughed and dipped his head down. "I got twists. Thought I'd change it up. Hoping to grow them out into dreads."

Seunghyeon grinned and hesitantly rubbed one of the strands between his fingers. "Like the painting?"

"Yeah. I didn't wanna compete with myself, you know?" Kwangsun said, smirking.

Seunghyeon fondly rolled his eyes, his heart fluttering. "You're so weird," he hummed. Kwangsun with dreads? Seunghyeon giggled.

"Um–" Myungsuk cleared his throat, fiddling with the broom.

Seunghyeon blinked and his cheeks burned. "Oh–" He forgot Myungsuk was there. He glanced at Kwangsun's amused grin and shuffled his feet.

"Myungsuk, throw this away," he said, holding up the trash bag.

Myungsuk scrunched his nose and took a step back. "No way," he said, shaking his head.

"Come on," Seunghyeon groaned, shaking the bag. "It's just recycling."

"It's not my job," he whined.

"Myungsuk," Seunghyeon groaned. Did he really have to make a fuss now? He stared at Myungsuk and tilted his head towards Kwangsun. Why couldn't he get the hint?

Kwangsun lifted his hand. "I can do it."

"No!" Seunghyeon snapped. He frowned when Myungsuk turned away. "Urgh. Okay, fine," he said and pointed at Kwangsun. "Don't go anywhere."

Kwangsun cracked a smile. "Wasn't planning to."

Seunghyeon nodded and heaved the bag over his shoulder, hurrying through the back.

"How're you and Insoo?" he heard Kwangsun ask.

"How's Insoo and I?" Myungsuk squeaked. "We're good! Yesterday we–"

Seunghyeon kicked the back door open and held his breath. He stepped out and pushed open the recycling bin and shoved the bag in as the lid fell back down. Running inside, he scrubbed his hands in the back sink and wiped them on his apron as he jogged back to the front.

"–And then Insoo ate the chocolate off the strawberries for me," Myungsuk cooed, bouncing on his toes and giggling into his hands.

"That's really sweet," Kwangsun hummed, leaning against the counter.

Myungsuk nodded. "He's the sweetest."

Seunghyeon chuckled as he walked around. "Stop bragging. You're making me jealous."

Kwangsun raised his eyebrow. "I knew you're the jealous type," he said, grinning.

Seunghyeon pursed his lips and crossed his arms, standing beside him. "It's hard not to be when Myungsuk talks about his Oh-so-perfect alpha, all the time," he teased, in a high-pitched tone.

Myungsuk furrowed his brows. "I don't sound like that."

Seunghyeon grinned "I know. "I'm only teasing," he said and nudged Kwangsun's shoulder as they snickered.

Myungsuk huffed and turned away, gripping the broom. "Don't tease me. Insoo is a good alpha and he's my fated mate."

"Huh?" Seunghyeon blinked. "He's your what?" Seunghyeon muffled a laugh. "I think you're reading too much Galactica."

"I'm not!" Myungsuk stomped his foot. "I know he is in my heart." Myungsuk placed his hands on his chest. "Even his scent is sweeter to me."

"Is that really how it works?" Kwangsun asked, looking between the two.

Seunghyeon shrugged. He's never thought of an alphas scent as sweet. "Probably not–"

"It does." Myungsuk pointed out. "His scent is cozier and calming and–and..." he trailed off, pressing his hands against his red cheeks, giggling.

Kwangsun chuckled. "I got it. I got it."

Myungsuk nodded and turned around, humming as he continued to broom. Seunghyeon stared at him and shook his head. Was he going to end up as dopey as that?

"What're you thinking?" Kwangsun asked.

"Hm?" Seunghyeon shook his head and leaned back. "Just thinking that it's cute."

"That Myungsuk is so in love with a nice alpha?" Kwangsun asked, singing the last words.

Seunghyeon side-eyed him and sniggered. "Don't say that. It's weird."

"Is it?"

Seunghyeon paused. "What?"

"Nothing," Kwangusn said, his tone void of the brightness from a moment ago.

Seunghyeon furrowed his eyebrows at him. Was it really nothing? He took a deep breath. He was overthinking.

"Anyway!" Seunghyeon started, clapping his hands together. He scooted closer and nudged Kwangsun's shoulder, grinning. "Are you excited for the fashion show?"

"Hm? Oh yeah!" Kwangsun laughed, his warmth instantly returning. "I'm so pumped. I even know what I'm wearing."

Seunghyeon whistled. "Already? You're more prepared than me," he said. "I have no idea. It's so hard to choose," he added, throwing his head back as he whined.

Kwangsun smirked and leaned closer. "Well, whatever you wear, I'm sure you'll be the real showstopper."

Seunghyeon's cheeks burned. "Yeah, yeah," he hummed and playfully shoved Kwangsun's chest. "Do you want coffee?" he asked as he made his way around the counter, hiding his face as he bit back his smile. Even if the whole room looked at him, Kwangsun's attention was the only one he wanted. And by the smirk on Kwangsun's face, he had it.