Chapter 58 (Part 1/2)

Myungsuk slid his backpack on and tiptoed out of his room. He didn't know how long ago Daehyun spoke to him, and the sun was almost set. Myungsuk shook his head. This couldn't wait till tomorrow.

He snuck into the main room and paused, catching Taeyong on the couch, asleep. His scent was dull and heavy. It made Myungsuk's gut twist. This has been the longest they've gone without speaking.

Walking over, Myungsuk crouched down in front of Taeyong and sighed at the beads of sweat on his forehead. Being pregnant must've been hard.

"I forgive you," Myungsuk whispered as he got up. Because even if things didn't work out with Insoo, staying mad of Taeyong and Seunghyeon forever would break him.

Myungsuk slid on his shoes and zipped up his coat. He glanced over his shoulder once more before leaving, the door clicking behind him.

Gulping, Myungsuk squeezed his bag to his chest, glancing around the subway cart. It was unusually packed. The trickle of suits and briefcases were slowly getting replaced with people in costumes. Myungsuk gulped.

Even with headphones and a mask, his skin crawled. Myungsuk shook his head and buried his nose against his bag, taking deep breaths. It didn't matter what day it was, he couldn't wait until tomorrow. He had to do this. He could do this.

Turning right from the station, up the steep hill and at the first intersection, Myungsuk found the house. He brushed his fingers against the white stone gate, sighing in relief when it had that gritty texture. At least not everything was as smooth as it seemed.

Taking a deep breath, Myungsuk walked over to the gate and pressed the bell at the intercom. He tugged his sleeves as the static started.

"Hello?" An unfamiliar voice called out through the speaker.

"Hello," Myungsuk repeated. "Is this the Cheung residence?"

There was a pause and Myungsuk gnawed his lip. Did he get the wrong place?

"Yes, it is," the voice said. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Anything you can help me with?" Myungsuk muttered before nodding. "Yes. I'm looking for Cheung Insoo. Is he home?"

"Give me a moment." The speaker didn't turn off and the original voice was muffled, farther away, speaking to someone. Myungsuk couldn't hear the words but his heart hammered.

"Sorry, but he's not hom–"

"Wait!" Myungsuk blurted out and gulped. "Tell him it's Myungsuk."

"What? Wait, sir!" With a thud, the speaker clicked shut. Myungsuk furrowed his eyebrows and took a step back. And then it hit him.

A burst of the warm toasty scent hit Myungsuk like a wall and a moment later, the gate swung open and Myungsuk could breathe again.

"What are you doing here?" Insoo asked, his eyes bright, yet swollen. He gripped the doorway as if he was afraid to reach out and touch him.

Myungsuk bit the inside of his cheek and glanced down before blinking. "You're in your house slippers."

"Huh?" Insoo looked down. "Oh, I–" He bit his lip and shuddered, rubbing his bare arm. "You should come in, it's cold."

Nodding, Myungsuk followed Insoo back to the house. He looked around the garden– or the lack thereof. In the rectangular patches of stones, combed into circles were three strategically placed hedges, completely rounded.

Inside was even worse. White walls, white floors and white furniture. The butler stood by the door with a look that made Myungsuk shudder.

"This feels like an evil lair," Myungsuk whispered, slipping onto some guest slippers.