Chapter 55

Seunghyeon tapped his card against the sensor, pushing his way in when the door unlatched. He stood there, staring at the dark studio, the only light from the lamp posts outside. He hadn't been back since...

He heaved a sigh and shrugged his coat off and dropped it onto the couch. At least he was able to grab it on his way out.

"Fuck..." A new wave of tears blurred his vision and he scrubbed his hands over his face. His heart felt like it was a sack of glass shards that kept cutting him up from the inside every time he moved.

Seunghyeon ran out of the kitchen, grabbing a handful of his things from the console as he grabbed for the front door, lurching it open. His feet moved on their own, his gritted teeth holding his mind back from acting out the truly terrible storm in his chest. He made it to the elevator, reaching out before the doors opened regardless.

Met with an impeccably dressed torso, Seunghyeon sucked in his breath and stumbled back. Daehyung stared at him with a pointed gaze. Or was it concern?

"Seunghyeon, what's going on?" Daehyun was right in front of him, holding his arm with firm gentleness. "Where's Taeyong? I could feel his distress. And his scent—"

Daehyun wasn't one to be at a loss for words. But how could he not when Seunghyeon reeked of not only his but Taeyong's potent, soured scent. But all Seunghyeon could smell was the bloody metallic of anger. Though he didn't know who's it was.

Seunghyeon's flicked his gaze at Daehyun, where the other stared anxiously down the hall where the scent trail led, heavy and suffocating. "He's—" Seungheon's trembled and he gawked his lip. He pulled away from Daehyun and stepped aside and tried again. "Go. He needs you right now."

Daehyun nodded and took a step before turning back to him. "Where are you going?"

"Uh," Seunghyeon already had his finger on the button. He hadn't expected Daehyun to look back, to remember him. Seunghyeon audibly gulped. "I just need some air."

Daehyun pressed his lips into a thin line and Seunghyeon fidgeted under his gaze. "Come back soon," Daehyun said eventually.

"Hm," was all Seunghyeon could manage. Hesitantly satisfied, Daehyun bolted down the hall and Seunghyeon called the elevator. As he stood in the elevator, he vaguely heard Daehyun call out to Taeyong over his heart pounding in his ears.

Seunghyeon groaned into his hands. Yet another lie he could add to his roaster. Everyone was a liar these days. Him. Taeyong.

Even Kwangsun was a liar.

Seunghyeon wrapped his arms around himself and shook his head. Kwangsun lied to him. Hid from him. Seunghyeon gritted his teeth. He wanted to be with him, but he never knew Kwangsun was like everyone else. Who was he to decide that Seunghyeon should be with an alpha?

Sucking in a lungful of air, Seunghyeon raked his fingers through his hair as he walked around to his canvas, still propped up beside Kwangsun's. He took a step back.

Seeing the pieces finished squeezed his heart, so hard that standing up straight felt impossible. Seunghyeon dug his teeth into his bottom lip and stared at Kwangsun's face.

His eyes were soft and inviting, with that ever so subtle, infectious smirk. Did the picture look like that? Or was it Seunghyeon who added those details, expecting more from Kwangsun than he could give?

But when he looked at Kwangsun's painting of him, he held his breath. The light danced off Seunghyeon's porcelain skin and glimmered in his onyx eyes, alive under half-lidded eyes and fluttering lashes. Making his way down, Seunghyeon paused above the sheet, where three tiny moles spotted his lower back. Seunghyeon cracked a smile and blinked back his tears. Every detail was there. If Seunghyeon looked like this in Kwangsun's eyes, then why didn't he want him?