Chapter 40

"Hey Myungsuk, please tell Taeyong thank you for inviting me, but I won't be able to make it and I'm sorry and hope everyone has a fun time. Sad face emoji," Myungsuk read out loud, looking up from his phone, pouting.

Taeyong shrugged as he slid on his shoes, using Daehyun for support. "It's okay. I had a feeling Insoo wouldn't come." When Myungsuk hung his head, Taeyong ruffled his hair. "I'm sorry, Myungsuk. At least you don't have to worry about socializing. I promise you can stay in the room."

"I can stay home instead," Myungsuk grumbled, tugging at his laces.

"But then you won't see Eomma and Appa," Seunghyeon pointed out, holding the door open with his back. "Right, Hyung?"

Taeyong nodded and slipped his hand into Daehyun's. "Right."

Myungsuk dragged his feet past them. "We can see them tomorrow."

When did Insoo become more important to Myungsuk than their own parents?

"Come on, we don't want to be late," Daehyun said and guided the three of them through the garage. Daehyun helped Taeyong into his Porsche while Seunghyeon and Myungsuk followed behind in Taeyong's BMW.

The drive was pleasant, but the closer they got to Kim's residence, the harder Taeyong's heart pounded. He pressed his hand against his chest and grimaced. "Oh!" He gasped, placing his other hand on his stomach.

"What's wrong?" Daehyun asked, reaching his hand out as he glanced at him.

Taeyong took his hand and placed it on his stomach. "It's nothing. My heart probably woke the baby and they're angry around it," he said, letting out a soft laugh.

Daehyun slipped his hand into Taeyong's. "Why're you anxious?"

"Hm? I'm not anxious."

"Your scent. It shifted."

He frowned and sniffed his wrist. Hints of salt, like tears subtly peppered his scent. He cracked a smile and brushed his fingers against his nape. Only a mate could pick up that change.

Taeyong sat back and sighed, squeezing Daehyun's hand. He opened his mouth to spill his heart out, but the words lodged in his throat. "I'm just down," he managed, rubbing his bump, groaning when the baby kicked again. "I'm not in the mood to entertain 50-plus guests. Or be in the sun all day."

"Do you want to turn around?"

"No, we're already on the way. Your mother and grandmother will be disappointed if we cancel."

"They'll be fine."

Taeyong pursed his lips and turned away, keeping their linked hands on his lap. "I'm fine. As long as you're with me, I'll be calm," he said, kissing Daehyun's knuckles.

Daehyun brushed his thumb against Taeyong's cheeks. "I'll stay with you the entire time."

Smiling softly, Taeyong leaned back. The kicks weren't so hard anymore and the day was too beautiful to be worried about other things.

They turned the final corner towards the ornate gate. The deep red with the swirling gold swung open as they approached, revealing the beautiful traditional Korean house, worthy of the grand Kim family.

They drove up the circle driveway to the front steps, a flurry of servants rushed down, opening their car doors. Two servants helped Taeyong out with one holding an umbrella to block out the sun.

"Welcome home, Daehyun-nim, Taeyong-nim," the head maid greeted, bowing. "The alphas are in the East Wing enjoying some tea," she explained and turned to Taeyong. "The madame of the house has prepared a room so you and your brothers can get ready."