Chapter 23

Taeyong dropped down into the chair at a table at the cafe. "Ah, I'm exhausted," he sighed, rubbing his tiny bump.

Jaejin smirked, sitting across him and setting his bag on the table. "We barely did anything. We just looked at one location. Is the baby really taking that much out of you?"

"It's not just that," Taeyong said and waved Seunghyeon over. "Cho Hwa's party kept going last night. I was drained," he whined.

"That's on you," Jaejin said, scrolling through his phone. "When the alphas are away, we get to play."

Taeyong eyed him for a moment before Seunghyeon came over.

"Hey, Hyung," Seunghyeon said and squinted his eyes at Jaejin. "Hi, Jaejin-Hyung."

"Urgh," Jaejin tsked. "Don't call me, Hyung."

"Whatever," Seunghyeon snickered.

Taeyong stifled a laugh watching them. They still acted like kids. "Seunghyeon, can you make us our usuals?"

Seunghyeon nodded. "Yeah, sure," he said and shot a dramatic look at Jaejin before walking back to the counter, striking an inaudible conversation with Kwangsun.

"Seriously, you two are so funny," Taeyong said, his smile fading when he noticed Jaejin's stiff lip, staring at his phone. "Is everything okay? Is it Minjun?"

Jaejin shook his head and shoved his phone back into his bag. "No, it's not Minjun. He's fine," he said and leaned back, crossing his arms. "Hyunwoo's staying in Tokyo one more night."

"Really?" Taeyong frowned. "So he's staying the weekend?"

"Apparently." Jaejin sighed and stared out the window. Tsking, he shook his head and sat up. "Whatever, it's not like I see him much when he is here anyway. Just means I can party one more night."

Taeyong stared at his hands, folding and refolding his fingers. He thought he was over it and accepted he was over-exaggerating, and that one lipstick didn't mean that little shop girl was seeing Hyunwoo. Surely he would have known if Hyunwoo was the type to cheat. All couples had ups and downs. Even Daehyun and him fought occasionally. But it never got physical.

"Jaejin," Taeyong started. "You know you can talk to me, right?"

When Jaejin looked up, Taeyong flinched. Jaejin clenched his jaw, glaring. Not the friendly way with Seunghyeon, but harsh and penetrating. "I'm fine," Jaejin said through gritted teeth.

Taeyong pressed his lips into a tight line, jumping at the clinking of dishes next to him.

"Hey, boss," Kwangsun said, smiling brightly as he placed Jaejin's coffee in front of him. "Is there anything else I can get you two?"

"Ah, no," Taeyong said, shaking his head with a smile. "We're good. Thank you."

Kwangsun nodded his head to the both of them and Taeyong picked up his tea, drawing out a sip.

"Who's that?" Jaejin asked, his eyes trailing Kwangsun, staring at him over the rim of his cup.

"That's Kwangsun. I hired him back in March," Taeyong said. "Is this your first time meeting him?"

Jaejin nodded. "I'd remember if I met him before," he said. "Did you hire him for his coffee or his looks?"

"Huh?" Taeyong laughed politely, covering his mouth with his hand. "It's actually a long story. But why? Is there something wrong with the coffee?" he asked, looking down into his cup.

"No, no. It's good," Jaejin mused. "Just, wondering," he hummed, his eyes falling back on Kwangsun, making no attempt to hide his staring. "He really is dark, tall, and handsome, isn't he?"

Taeyong chuckled nervously. "Really? He's just a sweet kid. I see him like another little brother," he insisted. "Anyway, are you going to brunch tomorrow? I've got a meeting tomorrow and I'm debating if I should leave early. But, do you think they'll care?"

"Uh-huh." Jaejin brushed him off, continuing to follow Kwangsun through the cafe with his eyes. "I wonder if he's any good."

Taeyong tensed. "What?"

Jaejin smirked. "At bed."

"Jaejin!"

"Relax," Jaejin scoffed, crossing his arms. "I'm kidding. Damn, can't you take a joke?"

Taeyong gripped his mug. "He's my employee. It's very uncomfortable hearing someone talk about him like that. Especially when he's working," he scolded in a harsh whisper before leaning closer. "And you're married."

"There's nothing wrong with just looking," Jaejin said and picked up his cup, staring into it, pouting. "It's just a bit of fun."

"Well, there's other ways to have fun," Taeyong said. "You don't want to do something you'll regret. Think about Minjun."

Jaejin clenched his jaw. "Why are we the only ones who have to care, while alphas can do whatever the hell they want?"

Taeyong froze, staring wide-eyed, his breath caught in his throat.

Did Jaejin know? Was Taeyong right when he figured out Hyunwoo was dating that girl? What if Jaejin didn't know for certain, but have reason to suspect.

Would Jaejin want to know? Taeyong would want to know if it was Daehyun. But Jaejin hated people knowing his business. Was Taeyong grouped in with everyone else? After all these years, why didn't Jaejin confide in him? Taeyong wouldn't judge, wouldn't blame him. He'd be there for him. All Jaejin had to do was ask.

"Jaejin"–Taeyong sat up–"what do you mean?"

Jaejin didn't answer for a while, staring into his cup, his mind elsewhere. Taeyong opened his mouth to repeat his question, but Jaejin slammed his cup down and stood up.

"I should get going," he said and grabbed his bag. "I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?" he asked normally, as if he pressed reset on his emotions.

Taeyong blinked. "Wait, Jaejin I–"

"Just don't leave before 2," Jaejin said, cutting him off. With a curt goodbye, Jaejin left the cafe. A few moments later, his car sped past the window, leaving Taeyong in the dust.

Taeyong sighed and leaned back. He lifted his head and took a deep breath, spotting both Seunghyeon and Kwangsun watching him with concerned expressions. With another squeeze of his chest, he placed his hand on his belly, offering them a sheepish smile, hoping they'd buy it.

Forcing himself to look away, he stared out the window, dragging his hand up, rubbing his chest. If Jaejin knew Taeyong knew something, he would be heartbroken. Or angry? Taeyong sucked in his breath. He couldn't even imagine what reaction he would have.

"Hyung," Seunghyeon said, placing his hand on his shoulder.

Taeyong looked up, and took a deep breath, taking in Seunghyeon scent, smiling at his attempt to comfort.

"Do you want me to drive you home? Kwangsun said he can manage alone for some time," Seunghyeon added.

Taeyong glanced over and Kwangsun nodded at him from the counter. He thought for a moment before sighing. "But you come right back, okay? I just need to rest," he said quietly, hoping his smile would give Seunghyeon some solace.

Seunghyeon didn't look convinced. "Are you sure?"

He already burdened Seunghyeon once about this situation. But this was too much for Seunghyeon to know.

Taeyong nodded as he stood up, ruffling Seunghyeon's hair. "Yes, I'm sure."