[ vi :: lab ]

Babe, even though I only see you on the TV screen

With all those boys and your toys and your pleasured scream

I'll easy spend up all ths loving for my dream girl

I don't want to share.

- "These Girls" || Sticky Fingers

__________

"Find your own secluded spot on campus-should preferably be high enough for you to see something. Grab a packet, your partner, and get outta here. Find a nice spot and get me your labs by next Wednesday. Get on, then."

It's Lab Day.

___________

"So...what do you see?"

"Fucking nothing," squints Anais. They've been standing on the top of the math building for fifteen minutes and the temperature is starting to drop.

Anais is regretting not packing a heavier sweater.

"Jesus, this is pointless."

Zayn watches as she rubs her eyes.

Zayn watches as she stands closer and closer to the edge of the building.

"God, like-Like, where the fuck does Cowell think we are, California? Did he take us to the Rockies? Am I in fucking, Maine right now and there's no light pollution or no air pollution or, or no airplanes all of a sudden? How the hell's this even supposed to work?"

Zayn pinches the bridge of his nose, eyes squinted closed. It's nearly an hour into class and they haven't seen a single one of the stars they need to see for their lab.

"This's the fifth building we've stood on the top of," she continues, voice raising as she paces back and forth. "What, am I supposed to taxi to the Empire State Building? Is that the only way I'm gonna see anything for this shit lab?"

Zayn pats his pockets. He's looking for his cigarettes.

"God, why the fuck did I take this stupid class?"

Zayn snorts-he's hungry and getting cold and he sure as hell needs a smoke since he's heard Anais go on for nearly an hour straight with complaints, now. He finds his lighter and his last cigarette. "Should've taken Psych, s'what my mate told me."

Anais turns and stares at him with her large eyes. "God," she shakes her head. "Why didn't I take Psych?"

Soo took Psych with Jourdan and Cara last semester. She should've done it. She should've totally done that with them, because 'this,' she'd exclaimed only moments earlier, 'is sure as hell not working.'

Anais rubs her eyes tiredly and groans so loudly that anyone in night classes in the math building could probably hear her. "This is pointless..."

"Well, complaining's not going to do anything about it, is it?" Zayn snaps, because not only did he come to class in a bad mood but he's hungry now and he has literally seen one star that was more than likely an airplane.

Anais whips her head around to face him. "Ah, twice in a row?" She exclaims with rolled eyes and hands on her hips, "He speaks!"

He narrows his eyes, taking a long drag on his cigarette.

"To what do I owe the pleasure, today?"

Anais watches the smoke curl around his jaw.

"I speak."