[ xxxviii :: seeing/believing ]

long chapter ayyeeee <3

***

Too many pretty faces catching my attention,

So I look at them, remind myself in the smudged glass,

That pretty isn't everything, you punk ass.

Always hard to see past the surface, when it looks so perfect

But our eyes will disguise dirt on purpose, you listening?

- "West Coast" || The Neighbourhood
___

"Aw, well don't you look like a Dapper Don! Jesus, Zayn. Just tell me already to stay out of the flat, 'cause once Anais gets a look at you she'll probably wanna do it in the kitchen, or on the floor, or in the hallway, too, now that I think about it."

Zayn laughs. He can't even help it.

He's blushing a little, too, but he turns away so she can't see that, as he waits for Niall and Louis to fucking hurry up already because introductions start in twenty-five minutes and they've got to get to his show, for the love of God.

"Thanks, Soo."

"Aw, I saw that blush," she squeals, reaching out and catching him off guard and throwing her arms around him for a hug. "It's okay, Zaynie," she laughs. "I know, we're friends. I heart you, too."

"Soo Joo Park," Louis gasps, fixing his tie as he enters the room. "Get your arms from around my boyfriend, you know I'm the only one allowed to touch him."

Soo snorts, although her head is still against Zayn's chest - he doesn't mind too much, though. I mean, c'mon, it's Soo - as Louis stalks towards the both of them and claps Zayn on the back with a, "You're gonna be great, babe. Love ya," and as Zayn chokes on the laugh threatening to strangle him and Soo giggles against him, Louis kisses his girlfriend's cheek because if Zayn was gone for Anais, then Louis was really gone gone for Soo.

He just didn't get teased about it nearly as much.

"You can have 'im tonight,"he tells her, with a smirk towards Zayn. "But," he adds with his pointer in the air, "only 'cause it's your birthday weekend," he winks. "Consider it an early present for tomorrow."

"Glad to know I'm so loved," Soo says with an eyeroll. "But he's Ana's, and I doubt she'd like to share."

Zayn smiles - as Louis calls down the hall, 'Hurry up, Niall! What're ya doing, mate? Killing whales?' - and he taps Soo's shoulder.

"Where is Anais, anyway?"

Soo shrugs. "Said something about talking to Lucky and helping Magda..."

Zayn nods, his jaw clenched. Sue him for always reacting this way each time Lucky Blue Smith is mentioned, but he does.

God, he fucking hates that prick.

And apparently, it's written all on his face because Soo reaches out and pats his arm again. "She'll be there, Zayn," she says. "I can promise that."

"Oh god, of course she will," adds Louis, before he trots down the hall. "Niall, we've got to go, mate!"

Soo rolls her eyes. "But, actually," she nods. "There're few things she cares about more than you."

This seems to put Zayn at ease. "Except you, Soo?" He teases.

"Yes, Zaynie," she replies, and Zayn groans at this nickname because this is the second time she's used it that night and Soo will probably not hesitate to slip it into conversation later. She giggles again, ring-clad fingers beside her mouth. "Except for me."