[ xxiv :: bad boys ]

...We're made to love

(But) you're dangerous

You're dangerous, you're dangerous

For both of us.

- "Dangerous" || The Neighbourhood

__________

"He's like, really good."

"He's like, really hot."

Zayn laughs softly. His arm's around Anais' waist, and she's pressed against his side, the both of them lounging in a booth at the club Jesse and his band are playing at as Anais' friend, Magdalena, stares open-mouthed and wide-eyed at his friend upon the stage.

"Why don't you go talk to him, then?" Anais implores.

"And say what?" She snorts in response. " 'Hi. Um, I'm the freak who you don't know that's followed you on Instagram and also possibly stalked your Facebook so I know your birthday and place of birth and also what your mother looks like! We should date!' " And her face falls. "Stop laughing, Zayn."

Anais pokes him. "You're really pretty awful about that, tonight."

"I'm sorry," he exclaims with wide eyes. "But, you've got to admit," he nods, "that was really very funny."

"See? My life is a joke."

"It's not, Mags."

"You know it is, Ana. Honestly, I should be the star of a reality show so at least I get paid for this constant struggle."

Zayn looks away, hoping that neither girl notices the smile playing on his face.

Anais rolls her eyes. "Oh my god, you're so dramatic."

Zayn leans towards her. "Says you?" He whispers, but Magdalena catches that and giggles.

She shrugs. "He's right."

"Hush," Anais replies, staring between the two of them. "You're both not helping."

"Helping what?" Zayn exclaims.

"Me live happily ever after," Magdalena replies. "I mean, all I want is for me to make my way into Jesse Rutherford's heart and him into my bed like," she pauses as her words catch Zayn off guard and he chokes again on a laugh. "Like, is that really too much to ask?"

"Is this really how you all talk on a daily basis?" He asks, eyes bright with interest even beneath the darkened ambiance of the club. They've been going on like this since they met up and it's seriously amusing him.

Anais nods. "Unfortunately."

"Yep," agrees Magdalena. "This is, 90% of the time how our conversations typically tend to go."

"It's why we're so interesting," Anais says, flashing him a grin. "It's also why you're having such a great time with us right now."

At that, Zayn only shrugs.

"Uh huh," Anais nods smugly. "Thought so."

A part of him would never admit that he's actually had a wonderful time tonight. When it was just him and Anais at dinner well, obviously he'd enjoyed himself, because there were no nerves and the two of them found themselves laughing and teasing and talking as if they were in one of the other's apartments after classes.

So, when it was time to leave the restaurant and meet Magdalena at the club, Zayn had, yes, well, he'd been hesitant. Why ruin a perfect night, right? Why risk losing Anais to one of her friends?