[ ix :: napkin ]

Dependent on company

You show em off and take em to the streets sayin'

Who's around, for getting down tonight

It'll get you to, even get you through July

She don't go alone no

She don't need to wait around, wait around.

- "Don't Go Alone" || CRUISR

__________

"Ready to order, Miss?"

It's been three weeks since Naughty Boy.

Three weeks since Anais and Zayn successfully completed their first lab, and it's been three weeks since Anais had spoken to Lucky.

"No, sorry," she replies, as now she sits in Nero with her book bag.

She's just finished classes on this Thursday afternoon.

The waiter gives her a polite smile. "A few more moments then?"

"That'd be great, thanks."

And once again, Anais is left alone with her thoughts.

Since the Wednesday on the roof, Anais and Zayn have both had an additional lab-they've met in front of the Bobst and walked to Naughty Boy and stood on the roof together.

They've passed each other in hallways and spoken between classes. Zayn's joined Anais on more than one occasion in the library and she's often caught sight of him in the city-unbeknownst to him-while she's been out with friends.

Anais looks back at the menu and heads back to the cashier.

There's a line, now, so she stands with her arms folded, teeth on her bottom lip.

"Next."

She moves up in line. It's a Thursday around 3 o'clock in the afternoon-Anais is thinking of the work she's got to do over the weekend and the little kickback Louis' friend is throwing in his flat.

"You've gotta come, Ana," is what he told her.

"I dunno, Lou-"

"She'll be there," Soo had interjected. "Don't worry, she'll be there."

So apparently, Anais was going out.

Apparently, she had plans on Friday night.

"I can help the next customer."

Anais is next in line, and she's wondering what to get with her cafe mocha since it's three and they've already run out of scones. She's also wondering if she'll ever take Lucky up on his offer for lunch.

She's scanning the pastry selection when all of a sudden, there's a large hand on her hip; lips near her ear.

"M'pretty sure you've got like, an essay to write, or something."

Anais whips her head around and grins.

"Zayn!" She exclaims, and people look up in the coffee shop because she's throwing her arms around his neck and holding him close for a hug.

He inhales sharply, chuckling with wide eyes. "Wow-How's that for a 'hello,' yeah?"

She laughs. "What? I'm happier to see you than you are to see me?" She pouts, cocking her head sideways. "Way to validate this relationship, Zayn."

He shrugs. "Your words, not mine."

Anais shoves him playfully, and he breaks out into that laugh of his where he actually laughs aloud and his shoulders shake. This is the laugh that makes Anais feel good about herself, honestly. This is the laugh that validates her belief that this guy, this Zayn Malik, is actually starting to loosen up around her.

This is not the same Malik from the first week of classes.

"So," he says after she's ordered not a blueberry scone but a blueberry muffin, and he follows her to her little table by the window.

She lifts a brow. "So?"

So does he. "So."

She nods. "Yes."

"So, Anais..."

"So, Zayn."

He rolls his eyes. "God, you."

She snickers, bringing her cup to her lips. "Kidding, kidding," she grins and he balls up a bit of her napkin and flicks it at her.

"Hey!" She exclaims. "What if that landed in my drink, Zayn?"

He smirks. "Knowing you, you'd probably still drink it."

"Should I be offended by that?"

"I'm right, aren't I?"

"Eh," she shrugs, "a little paper never killed anyone."

He laughs aloud again.

She grins, eyeing him over her cup.

"So like, what are you doing this weekend?" He asks, shaking his head and propping his elbows upon the table. "Have any plans?"

"Nope," she pops her 'p.'

She shakes her head. "Well, nothing but this party I've been invited to," she huffs. "A friend of Louis,' apparently."

"Niall's," nods Zayn.

"Who?"

"Niall," grins Zayn. "He's who's throwing the party, you know."

"Oh," Anais mouths with a nod. "Gotcha."

"So, you're going?"

"Are you?"

"I..." He pauses. She's the only reason he'd go, honestly. He sees his mates all the time, right?

"Honestly," Anais leans back in her seat, regarding him carefully, "parties don't seem like your type of thing."

He shrugs. "Depends on the people, I guess."

To that, she nods. Anais draws patterns along the top of her cup. "So..."

He smirks. "So?"

"So," Anais laughs, eyes on his, "if I go..."

"If you go?"

"Would I see you there, then?"

"So like," he grins, "what you're saying is-"

"Oh god," she grunts, falling back against her seat. "Here we go..."

"Just pulling your leg, yeah? I think I am going," he laughs, making this decision in this moment solely because of her. And he takes a risk: "We should go together," he says. "You know, meet up beforehand or something."

Anais' face lights up with her smile. "We should! You could come over before and we can walk over together!"

He chuckles. "Yeah, sure," he says, just happy that she's agreed.

"Friday, then," she grins. "Friday, it's a date."

-~*~-

Where did this gif come from ok.

And WHYYY is it taking me so long to write this next chapter of charming????

Ok that is all.

Song: "Don't Go Alone" by CRUISR