[ xliv :: confrontation ]

Look at how far we've come.

Look at this mess we've made.

I'm still praying that the sun,

Tears my body from the shade.

Tell me that we're too far gone.

Tell me that we'll be okay.

- "Mourning Doves" || Mikky Ekko

__

"Hi, Mum."

"How's Anais? She's there now, isn't she?" His mother laughs. "Every time I try and call you're too busy."

Zayn frowns immediately. 

"How is she, then? And when'll I get to meet her?"

"Mum...We aren't...I don't..." Zayn lets out a breath. He's sitting upon the edge of his bed, unsure how to answer the question his mother has posed. Not now, at least. "Don't quite know what to say, really."

"Why, my love? What's wrong?"

"Well..."

"Well, what, love?"

And Zayn ends up telling his mother exactly what, starting from Lucky

"Ah, Zayn...How're you, then?"

And honestly, Zayn can't quite formulate how he is. He's telling himself to just move on, because that seems to be the most logical response, right? Except there's this nagging voice in the back of his head that tells him there's no way Anais can't not love him, anymore. There's no way. This is Anais. She couldn't have just forgotten all of the times they've spent together, or all of the good that's come from him and her, them.

So, Zayn ends up telling his mother these things as he sits upon the edge of his bed and runs his free hand through his short-cropped hair.

"Sounds like you need to talk to her."

He laughs. "Mum, Anais's like, so stubborn, like..." He shakes his head. "You don't understand - I've been trying."

"Well, depends on you then, really," his mum replies.

"Me?" He exclaims.

"Do you love her?" His mum asks. "Because if you don't, you shouldn't feel bad about moving on," she pauses. "Right?"

And slowly, but much more assuredly, does Zayn reply.

"Yeah," he says. "You're right."

___

"Hi, Ana."

"Lucky."

He sticks his tongue against his cheek, rolling his eyes as he follows her to their designated table in Nero. "Seriously, Anais?" He asks. "C'mon," he grins, motioning towards the bag in his hand, "I've bought you a scone," he sings, "Are you still mad at me?"

Anais sits in her seat, folding her hands across her chest.

"Yes," she states, as Lucky sits across from her at the table. "As a matter of fact, Lucky, I am."

___

And Zayn finishes in his room with his mom having briefly talked to his little sisters before heading into the kitchen.

"Hey, mate," says Niall, who looks up at his friend from the refrigerator. He's rummaging around the kitchen, trying to find something in the kitchen to eat, because Niall is always in the kitchen.