[ xxxii :: his ]

You can be my other half

And tell me once again how I'm stupid for feeling like a lonely one

Baby, I'm your only one.

- "Lonely One" || Dresses

____

"Isn't that Zayn's?"

"What? What're you talking about?"

Cara narrows her eyes. "Seriously? Seriously, you're wearing his clothes now?" She scoffs. "That's just pathetic."

"Um, excuse you," Anais whispers. She fingers the wool scarf of his he'd given her weeks ago, "He gave this to me to wear and -"

"You've neglected to return it," Cara coughs, "Whipped."

"Hush," Anais exclaims. "I am not whipped."

"Right," and Cara clasps her hands and bats her eyes. "You're in love. Birds sing when the two've you are together and clouds part and double rainbows form. Yeah," she hisses, since they've literally just come from their British Lit test and have decided to wait outside for both Magdalena and Chanel. "Okay."

"One day, you'll be pussy whipped for some boy and-"

"What? Wait, wait wait," Cara laughs loudly, her voice ringing through the halls. "No you did not just say 'pussy whipped!' You're fuckin' outrageous, Anai-"

"Excuse me," and now the girls have clamped their mouths because their professor is glaring at them from the door. "Girls, take the conversation elsewhere if you're going to disturb your classmates."

"Sorry."

Cara nods. "We'll just be going..."

They take a few steps from the door. 

Magdalena is laughing from her desk, shaking her head. "Dipshits," she mouths. 

"Fuck you," Cara mouths back. 

"Anyway," Anais continues, quieter. "As I was saying, one day you'll be-"

"Right," Cara rolls her eyes. "One day I'll be 'pussy whipped.' Carry on."

Anais laughs, "-for some boy and you're gonna be all loved up on him and for once in your life, you'll have more than a fuck toy."

"Eh, or not."

"Sure will," Anais nods smugly. "You'll be wearing all his clothes and shit. Might even take his last name one day. Who knows. Oh, right. I do. I know."

"Whatever. Just 'cause you're from France doesn't mean you know everything."

Anais has to cover her laugh with her hand. "You're outrageous."

"No, I'm truthful," she replies as Anais rolls her eyes, pulling out her phone. Cara peers over her shoulder, "So where are we meeting Zayn, then?"

"How did you-"

"He's the only person you text. Duh."

"Not true, but okay. Think that, anyway."

"It used to be Lucky 'till he got kicked to the curb."

Anais snorts. 

"Like yesterday's trash."

"Okay, so now you're making me feel bad," Anais says at once, because just days ago when she ran into him on the street he had been pretty adamant about hanging out. She did miss Lucky, but she'd been so preoccupied with Zayn that everything else seemed not to matter. And Anais didn't want to be that girl. She didn't want to be the girlfriend that neglected her other friends.