[ viii :: gazing ]

Oh baby this is not an illusion

There's magic between you and me.

- "Illusion" || One Direction

_________

"Oh, hey-"

"Sorry I'm late," Anais breathes, the heels of her boots clicking noisily against the cement. She jogs to Zayn's side. "Sorry, sorry, sorry."

"For a moment there," he begins, squinting at the darkened sky, "I thought you weren't gonna show."

"Yeah- just got off the subway," she points to her hair. "Hair appointment's are crucial during this time of year."

"Your hair looked fine before," Zayn says, rolling his eyes although he's just happy she actually decided to show up. He was sure he'd been stood up and they hadn't even been out yet.

Not like this was a date or anything.

It was a lab-Anais definitely didn't think this was a date.

Because, really. This was Anais.

She rolls her eyes because he's rolling his eyes and then she snatches the fag from his fingers that he'd just pulled out to light.

"You obviously don't pay a lot of attention, Zayn," she smirks, leaning against a stray bicycle. "Now," she stares at the cigarette as Zayn stares back at her, honestly wondering where in the world she's come from and why she looks so good leaning against this bike with her fingers around his Camel.

But, he does like the way his name sounds upon her tongue-it's much different than Malik.

Anais grins before flicking the cigarette out into the street. It rolls into the gutters outside of the Bobst Library. "Where are you taking me?"

He scowls. "That was my cigarette."

"I'm helping you live longer."

"I paid for that, Anais."

"Details, details," she says, waving her hand in the air. She claps her hands together like a child. "So..." She stares at him with wide eyes, "Where're we going?"

Zayn regards her through lidded eyes. This Anais, with her curly hair and wide eyes and bright smile is just so cute.

He turns. He's hiding his smile. It's impossible for him to be angry.

"C'mon, then," he nods, motioning in front of him. "S'not too far from here, actually."

____________

"Naughty Boy?"

Zayn nods, pulling his hands from his pockets.

"Zayn, this is a night club," Anais says, placing her hands upon her hips. "God, if you wanted to take me dancing you should've just said so."

"I'm not-I mean, I can't really..." He shuts his mouth instantly, shaking his head and clearing his throat because Anais is laughing.

"Kidding, kidding," she giggles and Zayn rolls his eyes again. He's got to start realizing when she's fucking with him. "But, seriously-What the fuck're we doing here?"

She can't even really suggest dancing since all of the windows are black and the door's locked.

She tugs on the door handle.

"It's only eight," Anais says with a pout, looking from Zayn to the dark club. "It's closed."

Zayn hums in approval.

He nods. "Observant."

Anais turns to him and scoffs, and Zayn ducks his head, hiding a smile that's already made it to his eyes.

"Ha ha. Fuck off, Zayn."

He laughs aloud, now, jumping once, twice, and then a third time before his fingers hook around the bottommost rung of a ladder, pulling down.

The ladder hits the ground, and Anais stares up at the fire escape.

Zayn looks to her, eyebrow raised in amusement.

"What?" she asks.

He takes a step backwards. "After you."

Anais looks from the stairs to Zayn and back to the stairs before she decides to fuck it and grabs hold of the cold metal-and climbs.

The stairs go all the way up.

The stairs go all the way up to the roof.

"Shit," she breathes, finally reaching the top. "I need to hit the gym..."

Zayn tries not to laugh-he does-but he can't help it.

"Don't laugh at me 'cause I'm fat."

To that, he rolls his eyes.

He's taken the two of them to his mate's club, which isn't too far from campus. It's just off the High Line, and Zayn climbs behind Anais up to the roof and watches as she turns in circles, eyes to the sky and breathes out a, "Wow."

She looks to him with wide eyes and a smile that's got all teeth that makes Zayn's mind cloud with Anais Mali Mali Malibecause she looks so-so young.

"Zayn," she sighs, and it's that sigh and his name on her tongue that makes his breath hitch.

She points upward. "Stars."

He grins. "Yeah," and he looks up to the sky, now. It's clear enough to actually see something. It's nice and bright and clear, and they can actually tell that there are more than six stars in the sky.

"God," Anais exclaims, "I don't know how you thought of this place, but it's perfect," Anais nods, and the way she's looking at him makes him want to-

"Zayn?"

"Huh?" He shakes his head. "What?"

Anais lifts a brow. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

It's dark-thank god-so she can't see him blush.

He forces a laugh. "Like what?"

Anais shakes her head. "No reason," she says, taking off her sweater so she can sit on it. "Never mind."

She turns to him, patting the ground beside her. "Let's do this then, yeah? We didn't come all the way out here to just sit, right?"

"Right," Zayn nods. He sighs and can see his breath. "The lab."

"The lab."

"Okay," he reaches for his bag. "Let's get on, then."

-~*~-

How perfect is this picture of Anais???

These two are just KILLING me. Don't worry, the romance/smut/whatever is coming I just can't handle super quick love stories.