-27-

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. .**.☽ .*

"Good-morning Miss Davies," Professor Flitwick said, handing Sarah a piece of parchment at the breakfast table from the pile in his hands.

"Morning, Sir," she took it, "what's this?"

"Your grades from last term's end of term exams," he said, before handing a piece of parchment to Xenopholius Lovegood.

"Thank you," the blonde boy murmured, only looking up from the parchment he was scribbling on for a moment.

"Miss Rutherford," Flitwick handed Caroline her results.

"Thank you, Sir," Caroline smiled at him briefly.

He moved on to further on down the table and Caroline, her unopened grades still in her hand, gathered her stuff and walked over to the Hufflepuff table to sit with Tyler and Archie.

"Morning," she said.

"Got your results?" Tyler asked.

"Yes, you?"

"Yeah, all good apart from an A in Charms when I was sure I was gonna get at least an E, but that's
fine, Flitwick doesn't like me anyway," Tyler said.

"What did you get, Carrie?" Archie asked.

"I haven't looked..."

"Well look now! You probably got straight-Os anyway," Tyler snorted.

"I highly doubt that," Caroline laughed, even though there was a part of her that was hoping that could be true, "alright, I'll look."

Caroline Rutherfood -
Sixth Year Pre-Mock NEWTs

Charms - O
Transfiguration - O
Potions - O
Defence Against the Dark Arts - O
Herbology - P
Astronomy - O
History of Magic - E
Arithmancy - O
Study of Ancient Runes - E

She had got a P in Herbology. A Poor. She had failed. How could she have failed? How could she have let this happen? She had failed.

"Well?" Archie asked before downing the rest of his orange juice.

"Excuse me."

"Carrie-"

She quickly packed up her stuff and left the hall, her heart pounding heavily in her chest. How could she have failed? Maybe nine NEWTs was too many. Maybe she just wasn't good enough.

"Hey! Caroline I-"

She glanced up at Sirius in passing and said softly, "morning."

She walked straight past him, her mind still a blur as she tried to process her exam results. She hadn't even realised he had wanted to talk to her.

"Ouch," James said as they carried on walking.

"Shut up, Prongs."

"She looked upset," Remus commented.

"Yeah, she saw Sirius' face I mean, wouldn't you be upset?" James joked, making Remus snort with laughter.