-20-

· 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. .**.☽ .*

Caroline was like a ghost. There but not really there at the same time. She was just a shell. She did her classes, went to meals, walked with her friends but she still wasn't really there. She didn't speak, she felt like she couldn't. It was as if she was still trying to process what had happened, and her mind was still overwhelmed by it.

"Morning," Tyler said to her as he sat down beside her.

The group had collectively moved to the Hufflepuff table so as to be away from Eloise. The blonde in question had been spending most of her time with some Ravenclaw girls, but hadn't been seen talking to Julian. Caroline wondered if something was still going on, or if the thrill of going behind her back was what kept their relationship alive. It made her stomach turn to think about it.

She turned her page, reading 'The Outsider' by Albert Camus. It was a French book, a short existentialist novel filled with philosophical teachings and societal observations. It was exactly the escapism she needed.

She yawned, blinking at the words tiredly. Sleep hadn't been easy that week.

"People keep asking me what happened between you and...you know," Archie said softly, sitting opposite Caroline.

She looked up from her book then.

"I thought most people knew by now," she said.

"They want to know the details...you know how people are," Archie shrugged, before reaching for the pot of green tea for her, "tea?"

Caroline sniffed, "thanks."

"Where's Janey?" Tyler asked Archie.

"She was talking to Evans," Archie said, before looking at Caroline again, "she was asking after you."

"Who, Lily?"

"Yeah...lots of people care about you, you know that, right?" He asked.

She nodded, lowering her eyes down to the French writing in her hands.

Le soir, Marie avait tout oublié. Le film était drôle par moments et puis vraiment trop bête. Elle avait sa jambe contre la mienne. Je lui caressais les seins. Vers la fin de la séance-

"Hey," Jane jumped into the seat beside Archie.

Caroline's lips twitched at her for a second, but it couldn't really be counted as a smile.

"Evans wants to talk to you, Carrie," Jane said.

Caroline looked at the Gryffindor table where Lily was sitting down. It was near Sirius. Sirius was safe. Julian was on the other end. If she was far away from him, she could be fine.

She caught Lily's eye, who smiled warmly back at her. Did she have the strength to talk to her? Lily understood her, Lily knew how to make her feel better. Okay.

She stood up, "I'll be right back then."

Many eyes seemed to follow her as she approached the Gryffindor table. This was the most anyone had noticed or talked about Caroline her whole life, and she really didn't like it.