-32-

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. .**.☽ .*

"Prongs, Prongs, Prongs, Pr-"

"What the fuck do you want?" James hissed, looking up from his homework.

"I need help."

"I'm aware."

"No, James," Sirius sighed, "I want to ask out Caroline."

"Rutherford?"

"There isn't another Caroline."

"Right," James nodded, "sounds simple enough, you've asked out about a million other girls before."

"Way to make me sound like a slut."

"Your words not mine."

Sirius shoved him playfully, making the boy laugh loudly.

"It's different with her!" Sirius protested, "I don't even know if she'd say yes..."

"Of course she-"

"And if she does say yes, and we date...would I even be good enough for her? Like, she's so perfect and smart and she's probably gonna be the most famous healer of all time one day, and I'm just..."

"Padfoot, come on, you're great. You know you're great. I've never heard you be like this before," James said.

"I just don't want to let her down. I don't want to make a mistake and hurt her...or what if we date and everything changes and it's not like it is right now? I love how we are right now more than anything but-"

"Fucking hell, okay," James put his hands up, "chill out. It's okay."

Sirius breathed out heavily, shaking his head before resting it against the desk.

"Alright..." James nodded, "do you think it would help if you actually knew what Caroline felt about it?"

Sirius lifted up his head and gave a small nod, "that's the problem, I have no idea how she feels."

James nodded again, and looked over at Lily as he often did as she sat studying with Marlene and Dorcas on the other end of the common room.

And then...an idea began to form in his head.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽

"This way, come on."

"James, where the bloody hell are you taking me?"

"Shh, this is for your own good."

"Are you gonna murder me?"

"I will if you don't shhhhh!"

Sirius rolled his eyes and followed James, pulling the Invisibility Cloak further over his body. He heard familiar voices up ahead and frowned. What the fuck was James up to? Was he actually going to be murdered?

"What's this about? I need to finish my Charms essay, Lily."

That sounded like Caroline.

"I just wanted to talk to you about something."

James led him round the corner and they were met with the sight of Lily Evans and Caroline Rutherford talking beside the wall. James pulled him towards the opposite end of the wall, trying to be as silent as they could. Sirius looked at him confusedly, but James just grinned. In his books, everything was going to plan.

"I was just curious really," Lily began, "what's going on between you and Sirius?"

Caroline laughed nervously, "I don't know what you mean."