- 14 -

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. .**.☽ .*

"Now I would like to announce that Hogwarts will be holding another Halloween Ball this year," Dumbledore said from his pedastool at the front of the hall.

Many people cheered, but Caroline groaned quietly. She didn't like parties, or balls...whatever the difference was.

"However," Dumbledore raised his hand for silence, "It will not be our usual costume party, apologies," he glanced towards some sixth year boys on the Gryffindor table who looked upset, apart from Remus Lupin.

Caroline looked again at Lupin, and saw his gaze was elsewhere. Frowning curiously, she followed it. She was surprised to catch the end of a silent exchange between him and Maeve Iverson, a Slytherin in her year. What was going on there? She watched as the blonde smiled softly, a blush coming to her cheeks. Interesting...

"Carrie, you have to come."

Caroline looked up at Eloise, "come where?"

"To the ball, silly!" The blonde exclaimed. "Come on, it'll be fun."

"I don't-"

"You don't do parties, I know, but come onnnnn, pleeease come to this!"

"No."

"Pleeease!"

"Nothing you can say will persuade me."

It turned out that Eloise irritating her best friend for another half an hour proved successful and Caroline gave in. She was going to the ball.

She thought about this as she patrolled the corridor later that evening. What would she wear? Would she have to have a date? If so, would Julian ask her?

Of course he would ask her, that was a stupid thought, they were dating, it was romantic protocol, he loved her. She knew that, despite his mistakes and his flaws, he could never properly hurt her. He was her friend first, and friends didn't hurt each other. Caroline knew that, and she was convinced it was true.

"Pst, Rutherford! Pst! Psst!"

Caroline looked to the end of the corridor. Sirius Black was standing there, a boyish grin playing on his lips. She raised an eyebrow. He, for some reason, took that as invitation to come closer.

"Eeevening," he drawled, coming to stand in front of her.

"Yes, hello, what do you want?"

"What? Can't a guy check up on his favourite Ravenclaw pal?" He asked, gently giving a friendly punch to her shoulder.

"I'm your favourite Ravenclaw?" She asked, putting a hand over the spot he punched.

"Well..." he looked up at the ceiling as if trying to think. "Really I'd say you're second, but that's pretty high up there."

She crossed her arms and pursed her lips in frustration, "who's your first then?"

"My favourite Ravenclaw?"

"Yeah."

"Xenophilius Lovegood."