-25-

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. .**.☽ .*

He re-read it. And then he re-read it again. Was the yours too much? He sighed and whistled for Comet just as a knock came from the door.

"Oh hey, Mia," Sirius smiled at Mrs Potter before turning back to his small owl who had landed on the window sill, whispering to him, "the address is on the back."

They both watched as the owl disappeared into the sky.

"Is that to the girl you have a crush on?" Mia asked.

Sirius spun around, "Wha-I, I don't....how do you...oh damn it, James..."

She just smiled, "it's okay, he likes to annoy you because he's still hung up on that Lily girl."

"I think he'll always be hung up on Evans."

"Sirius, be honest with me," Mrs Potter began, sitting down on his bed, "do you think...this Lily...do you think she likes him back? Or do you think she ever could? I just don't want this to take over his life, I want him to be happy."

"So do I, um..." Sirius thought about it, "I think they're closer right now than they've ever been...I have no idea how she feels about him honestly, but I think if he ever had a chance with her, it would be right now."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Thanks, son," she smiled softly before standing up, "do you want a cuppa? I'm about to put the kettle on."

"Oh yes, thank you," he nodded, his chest filling with warmth at the sound of her calling him son.

She nodded before leaving the room.

He went over to the old record player in the corner of the room and looked through the muggle vinyls he had secretly collected over the years. He wished he could get some new ones, with some new music...like Queen.

He put on a 'The Beatles' record, and smiled to himself as the familiar 'She Loves You' came on.

Caroline turned down the record player as 'She Loves You' came on when she noticed a small, black owl soaring through the sky right towards her window. She peered at it curiously for a moment before realising she should probably open the window.

As soon as she did, the owl glided through and landed on her bedpost, looking curiously back at her, as if trying to figure her out. She noticed the letter in it's beak, and reached out a hand gingerly. It dropped the letter into her palm.

She read it.

Sweet Caroline,

I hope you've had a good holiday so far. I'm sure it will have been better than mine, what with James waking me up at 6am every morning to go on a run. I envy you if you've never gone on an early morning run in the winter because, and trust me on this, there are not many things that are worse.
I was actually writing because James' family has a big Christmas party every year on Christmas Eve. If you wanted, I thought you might like to come. It would be nice to see you.
Well, that's it.
I hope this finds you alright, Comet can sometimes be a bit ditzy. I'll keep my fingers crossed he doesn't accidentally go to Germany (which he has done before).

Yours,
Sirius Black

She read it again. She looked up at the owl, who she now knew to be named Comet.

"He said yours," she pondered aloud, to which the owl hooted in agreement, "I never realised he was...mine...but that's probably not what that means."

The owl hooted again. Not too helpful.

"I'll just write him back."

Dear Sirius,

I pity anyone who has to live with James Potter. Don't get me wrong, he's not unpleasant or anything, he just has so much energy it would be exhausting.
Thank you for your invitation, I was surprised you thought of me really, and I would have loved to come, but unfortunately I'm away on Christmas Eve. We're visiting family in South Africa. But another time?
Hope you're having a good time off school so far. Remember to do your Astronomy homework, no copying off me when you get back.

À la prochaine,
Caroline

Sweet Caroline,

Don't worry about the party! I just thought I'd ask on the off-chance you would want to and you'd be free but you're not and that's okay!
Which side of your family are South African? That sounds so cool, I've always wanted to travel to Africa, the richness and complexity of the cultures has always intrigued me. I hope you enjoy it, you can bring me back a rock or something.
I'm making no promises about the Astronomy homework as until receiving your letter, I had no idea we even had any. I mean, it's called a holiday for a reason, I wish they'd just leave us be. But I suppose it's just their way of 'preparing us for the real world' as they always say.
Do you think 'the real world' will be as hard as school is? Or do you think they're just making it up. I'd love if everything was to get way easier after school, but I struggle to believe that would actually be the case.
Anyway, sorry for the ramble. MgGonagall tells me I waffle too much in my exam essays, maybe that translates to letter writing too.

Yours,
Sirius Black

Sirius,

My Mum is South African. The culture there is really special, and honestly I'm really looking forward to visiting it again. And, of course, I'll bring you back a rock, if that's what you really want.
And yes, I do the think the real world is harder than school, but I also think it will be more liberating than school. We will lose the school rules but will be given a whole new set of rules from society, law and from our jobs. But, we will also be adults. I don't think life gets easier, but I think it changes, and I believe that just the concept that nothing is forever is very comforting. If you don't enjoy a subject now, in two years it will be irrelevant and you won't have to look at the teacher ever again. Is there a subject like that for you? I know divination was that for me, but luckily it's one of the few subjects I dropped.
Also, don't apologise for the waffling. I am too unfortunately inflicted with the terrible curse of writing too much. It does not bode well with MgGonagall either, trust me.
Hope the party goes well tomorrow, we're leaving for SA tonight.

Votre Amie,
Caroline
P.S I've attached my South Africa address if you're willing to send poor little Comet all the way x

He read the letter once more. Fuck she was so smart. Like not just smart smart but like she actually knew what was going on kind of smart. She just...got it. It was like he could say anything and she could just input with the most profound thing so fucking casually he felt like his head was going to fUcking explode.

Okay, chill. Chill, Sirius. It's okay, she's just a girl, you've dealt with them before.

But that's the thing, Sirius had never felt so out of his depth in his life. Girls, relationships...love, that's what he was supposed to be good at. But when he looked at her, when he talked to her, it was like he couldn't think. A haze overcame him and he tried desperately to be funny and charming but he never knew if it was actually working because all he was doing was focusing on repressing the urge to kiss her.

Yeah, he was in some deep shit.

Good job, Sirius.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. .**.☽ .*