-13-

・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. .**.☽ .*

Caroline sighed and checked the time. It was 11pm. Patrolling the corridors in the night was the only part of being a prefect that she didn't like. She liked the night, yes, but she liked the night when she was outside and could see the stars. Patrol duty was inside and there was absolutely nothing to do, so it was incredibly boring.

It was Tuesday, which was one of the days where the prefects from Ravenclaw and Slytherin had patrol duty.

Caroline had been positioned patrolling the North Wing on the seventh floor. She was so bored pacing the corridors that she thought she could fall asleep mid-step. She tried to occupy her mind to keep herself conscious.

What to think about, what to think about...Julian? She still thought he was great, of course, but it was his friends that really put her off. And now she knew what they had been saying to Archie...she couldn't pretend anymore with them. She couldn't pretend to like them, not even for Julian's benefit.

Her attention focused sharply on the far end of the corridor where she was sure she had heard a sound. There was silence for a moment, before the scuffling sound of footsteps was unmistakable. Noted, Caroline did have unusually sharp hearing, it wasn't very hard to hear.

She sighed and pulled out her wand, pointing it towards the sound, "revelio."

What looked like a thin, silvery cloak flew off two boys. Of course: James Potter and Sirius Black. No surprise there. They looked incredibly caught out.

"Ah! Rutherford! Fancy seeing you here!"

She cracked a smile at Sirius who sauntered guiltily towards her, followed by James, "you know I'm going to have to give you detention for being out of bed after curfew?"

"Oh come on, Rutherford, don't be like that," Potter frowned, coming to stand beside Sirius.

"You won't change my mind-"

"We'll make it worth your while," James said, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah!" Sirius nodded. "How 'bout a trade?"

"A trade?"

"Yeah, we'll do something for you and then you don't give us detention."

"What could you do for me? Homework?" She laughed but stopped when they saw their faces and pulled out two detention slips. "Here you go."

They both groaned, reluctantly taking the notes.

"Can't we do anything to convince you?" Sirius asked, looking at her pleadingly with those eyes.

Those piercing eyes.

She cleared her throat after looking at him for a bit too long, "no. Now off you go."

"Yes, ma'am," Sirius smirked at her.

"Laters," James nodded.

"Don't let me catch you out again," she called after a moment, feeling awfully flustered all of a sudden.

She watched as they left, before leaning her back on the wall an exhaling heavily. Why was her heart beating so fast? She swallowed. It was probably nothing.

・ 。゚☆: *.☽

"Herbology, herbology, we write some stuff, then plant a tree," Archie sang quietly to the tune of the Spiderman theme song.

Tyler and Caroline laughed under their breaths at the bad rhyme Archie had created just a half hour ago. They were in the last class of the day - Herbology - and had been tasked with potting Snargaluff plants. It was boring work, yes, but with Archie singing between them, it was made slightly better.