The News

Dear Jesus,

I must have been really tired from yesterday, or maybe the cool post-rainfall wind had a calming effect on me.
I woke up unexpectedly late.

When I opened my eyes, the sun was already up, lighting up the morning sky. Birds were chirping and an aroma that made me salivate involuntarily wafted into my nostrils.

Mom was baking vanilla cookies with her special recipe.

I wondered why she didn't bother to wake me up this time.

Well, I was so grateful that I didn't have an exam paper to tackle again today that I didn't pout or sulk at that thought.

I knew I had a dream, but I couldn't remember it at all. In my haste to make it early to school for the photoshoot, I made a brief prayer to you, darted into the bathroom and hurriedly put on my uniform, almost forgetting to tie my shoe laces.

I got downstairs into the kitchen and shut my eye tight at what I saw.

Dad was kissing Mom full on her lips. So that's why she couldn't come to wake me up. Hmph!

"Ewww!" I made a funny face doing that, eyes still tightly shut. I peeked after a few seconds of my eye-shutting scandal.

I must have startled them because they abruptly pulled back, turning in my direction. Mom turned crimson red and Dad had a sly smile stuck on his face. Sigh... What two lovey-dovey parents have you given me, Lord?

"Radiance, you're awake already!" Mom and Dad said simultaneously. Two have indeed become one.

"I guess I am. Thank God I have Angels to wake me up. It seems like you guys have even forgotten that I exist in this house," I said as I made my way to the plate where Mom's special vanilla cookies were stacked. Only then did I realise I was hungry.

"Good morning Dad," I said when he came to peck me on my forehead.

"Good morning princess," Mom said, coming closer to straighten my hair. I guess a strand or two fell out of place, defying my rushed combing

"Morning, Mom," I replied, voice muffled by the delicious cookies I was now munching. They tasted divine.

"Great stuff, Mom." She smiled at my compliment.

"Did you have a great night Ray?" Dad asked, looking at me.

"Yeah, I sure did. Only that I can't remember my dream and I have a feeling it was really important stuff."

"Have you prayed about it, sweetie?" Dad inquired, his voice a tad bit deeper and his body terse. I wondered why.

"No. But I will." I should have known better. Procrastination and I aren't compatible.

"I'll be headed for school now," I said, springing out of my chair like a Jack-in-the-box when I glanced at the microwave time and saw 9:02am.

Thank God I'm a senior student writing my final exams.
If not, the punctuality teacher would have had a wonderful time torturing me with any punishment he felt like dishing out, depending on the degree of his sour mood that morning.

I didn't take lunch. I told Mom that I wouldn't take long at school. And off I went.

I got on the late bus after waiting for a long time, praying that there was still hope for me to get to school.

The strange thing was that when I got on the bus, it was as if I suddenly became the center of attraction.

There were all kinds of people on board: old, young, male, female, touchy looking, jovial looking, you name it.