Euphoria

Dear Jesus,

I'm sure that I must have startled everyone in the Computer Lab with my high-pitched squeals and erratic bounces like an helium-filled balloon.

I felt like I could have flown to the moon like that weird children's rhyme that says, the cow jumped over the moon and the plate ran away with the spoon.

That's how happy and thankful I was.

Oh Jesus you are too much! Just too much! I love you so so so so so so so much. A bazillion so's cannot express how I feel about you.

My screen read:

~~~
Senior School Certificate Examination Board, West African Region.

We have received your complaint.
We apologize for any inconveniences that it caused you.
The board was scrutinizing the results for any errors and for proper confirmation.

We are pleased to announce that you have the best result in the whole of West Africa.
We would contact you soonest for further acknowledgement.

Attached below is your SSCE result. Once again, congratulations.
~

~~

9A's stared at me from the screen!

Everyone was staring at me, wondering why I was so happy. Mrs Esther left the student she was attending to and came to make sure I was not high on an overdose of dope.

I was too high to talk. I just handed her the phone and let the result do the talking.

Mrs Esther's grin when I told her the reason for my explosive euphoria was wide enough to have split her face into two.

With all the dignity that made a proud class teacher shine her teeth like an hyena, she announced my result to those in the Lab, to all who cared to listen.

Murmurs and gasps of surprise rose from the lips of students.
Some of the teachers applauded me, while the doubting Thomases among them left their duties to hover about me, assaulting my phone, tapping, zooming and passing it from one hand to another.
I was too happy to care.

I will not lie, not everyone was happy about my result. Some were jealous. I espied some of my mates seething and frothing like a bubbling witch's cauldron.

They were probably angry that I had passed excellently, while they, who cut corners through EXPO (Malpractice), did not even come close.

I saw Joshua staring at me like he just discovered that I exist on planet earth. He was stunned maybe impressed too, I guess.

For recollection's sake, Joshua was my ex. As in, my ex-obsession far back in my old days.

Apart from being my former secret crush, he had been my major competition. Well, till sweet Kathy joined the list of my competitors.

I later heard he was the second best in our school with 7A's and 2B's.

On legs all wobbly and slightly achy from all my gymnastic display and dancing, I eased myself out of the hands of teachers who wanted to shake my arms off ,and walked towards the sliding door that led out, eager to share the good news with my praying friends and wonderful family. That was after retrieving my poor phone, of course.

"Congratulations, Radiance!" I heard the unmistakably cool voice of Joshua saying behind me just as my hands touched the door frame to slide it.

In the past, just hearing that voice, even though he wouldn't most times be speaking to me, would set my heart ready to leap out my throat like a baby antelope.