The Convergence

Dear Jesus,

When the doorbell chimed from downstairs, I knew we were doomed. Ok well, maybe 'doomed' is an outrageous way to depict our state.

Currently, Kathy and I looked like rainbow ponies. Purple ponies.
I should have suggested another time for redecorating my room.

The room had already begun 'taking shape'; it also looked like it had been invaded by two teenage girls who know virtually nothing about painting.

Ding-dong-ding!

Kathy and I looked at each other, then at my room's door, then at each other again.

I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time.
With all my heart, I hoped it wouldn't turn out to be John and his crew.

The doorbell rang for the third time.
Now, I didn't want to disturb my Dad who was currently preparing for Sermon in the library.
Mom was briefly out. She told us she wanted to get me Lucozade Boost, even though I insisted to her that I was already very fine.
And, I didn't want to keep whosoever was at the door waiting, whoever it was.

"I'm coming!" I yelled as I trampled down the stairs, with a similarly colourful Kathy trailing closely behind me.

Giving my inner critic no time to voice out her protests about the mess I was, I swung open the door.

Pris stood at the door. She didn't wait for any usual greeting. She immediately engulfed me in a strangling bear hug.

"Oh, Ray!" She said, clinging to me as if letting go would result in my demise.

Was she crying?

"Pris, you're choking me," I managed to rasp out.

She let go.
That was when I noticed Felicia beside her. I was so surprised and happy to see her, but Pris didn't even spare me a moment for questions as she began to fuss over me like a mother hen over her chicks.

How did Felicia know about our meeting?

"I couldn't believe it when Kathlyn sent that message that you're ill, or rather you were attacked. But look at you, You're pale!" Pris exclaimed.

"I'm fine really," I said, trying to reassure her.

"Good afternoon, Radiance," Felicia greeted me, smiling sweetly.
She had put on a little more weight; she was beginning to show already.
Her cheeks were chubby and her eyes danced with amusement, probably because she was fascinated by the whole Pris drama.

"Oh Felicia dear! How are you doing?"

"I'm fine and so is my family. You didn't see me on Wednesday at church. I tried calling your attention after service but you were so engrossed with the children that you didn't notice me."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know. You know how those kids are," I said, chuckling.

Then, as if she saw the slightly perplexed look on my face, she continued, "I hope you don't mind that I came. Priscilla invited me to join in prayers."

"Of course not. You're totally welcome."

I was about to ask them how they came so quickly. Right about that moment, Genevie practically cat-walked in, strutting comically like an overfed peacock.

That explained it. They must have come together in Gen's convertible.

I couldn't stop myself from staring at miss popular.
She looked as if she had visited a high class saloon, with her black hair permed and tinted into streaks of brown, with her nail manicured, with her lips sparkling, giving away the fact that she used lipgloss, although sparingly.
To be frank, she did look pretty.