The Day of Reckoning

Dear Jesus,

It's today, it's today, it's today!

Oh my dear, Lord! The much-dreaded and much-awaited day had finally arrived, dragging with it its uncanny herald.

The harmattan chill lingered till this morning. Its hair-spiking haze floated in through the crevices of the window and creeped through the openings in my blanket.

I curled up further into my blanket, shivering involuntarily.

I woke up, finally, after a dazed ceremony of stretching like a lazy dog (No offense to Jerry, Ha ha!), hair-scratching, auto-chewing, and eye-rubbing.

My brain was still foggy and it took a while for me to remember that I'm headed for school today.

School, not a quaint restaurant where I work part time and get to stare into grey for as long as I work.
School, where our judgement awaits. School! Gosh, I can't wait for Heaven, where there's nothing like school.

I sat up and stretched. Hirena was still asleep.

I looked at her figure and smiled. This girl definitely took her mom's inquisitive traits.
She almost squeezed the living daylights out of my poor self the second I returned home yesterday afternoon.

"Who is he?" I told her.

"Oh. Emm. Gee!" she squealed. I had to clamp my hands over her mouth to reduce her noise. It would have been a much worse scenerio for the adults to burst into my room, thinking the roof caved in or something.
I rolled my eyes.

"So, is he like your secret crush?" Hirena said, wriggling her eyebrows, her green eyes glinting in amusement.

"Whaaaattt?" I knew I sounded unconvincing.
Jesus, I'm sure you saw me then. My armpits and palms were all sweaty. I shifted on the bed where I sat cross-legged.
I'm infinitely face-palming right now. 

Hirena laughed. Out loud. Prolonged-ly.

Jerry was running round the room, probably sharing in his mistress's joy and silliness.

I narrowed my eyes at her, pressed my lips hard together to avoid joining her in laughter.
I was pretending to be annoyed, but unfortunately, I'm not so good at acting.

I tried to clear all misunderstandings by explaining that the Walkers were close family friends and that John was just a friend.

Hirena said whatever. And I banged that hammer that Judges use in court. Case closed.

This morning, I fellowshipped in your presence, thanking you for the lesson you taught me yesterday and asking you for grace and help for today.

I didn't bother to wear my uniform. I just donned a blue long-sleeved shirt and a black skirt.

Hirena followed me, sticking by me like a remora fish to a shark. Jerry, of course, followed as well. His drooling tongue wouldn't just stay in his mouth.
Thank God there was no such rule as 'thou shalt not bring any non-human creature into the school premises'.

Jerry behaved. His leash did a very good job in restricting him from wandering off to explore the staff room or any of such no-go areas.

Genevie came with her hair still dyed into brown streaks. I gave her the look that said, "Seriously?"

She simply smiled back and waved at me from the distance she stood.

"Hey Ray! What's up? Are you feeling better now?"

"I am. Thank you. I'm surprised and impressed.  You didn't come with your car?"

"I did. I only parked it afar so that it won't be mauled by hyperactive students," she said gesticulating.