Genetics

Dear Jesus,

Kathy left.

I, rooted to the spot, was still as shocked and stunned as I was since the unfolding.

I was in a dilemma. Should I go after my bestie or should I follow my cousin in? I felt pulled in both directions, on the verge of being torn, much like how the rope must feel when its in a tug of war.

Wearied and confused, I entered back in, a thousand questions floating through my mind.

Kathy knows my cousin? How on earth?

Aunt June hit me with a tsunami of questions the moment I entered back in.

Sigh... She's a pro at the interogative talent. Sometimes I feel she should have gone on to be a detective or something. It would have suited her more than her real estate business.

I successfully managed to scale through her myriad of questions.

All the while, I was itching, restless even, to go find Hirena who seemed to have disappeared into thin air.

Mom told me to go back out and bring in all their travel stuff. It took all the restraint of the Spirit in me not to sulk and grumble.

I went out to the Jeep and opened the boot.

A gasp escaped my lips.

Their luggage was a handful. I wondered what the reaction of the air hostesses must have been upon sighting their luggage. Surely, they must have payed extra for all this *I made a sweeping gesture at the mass of luggage*.

But actually, that was not the exact reason why I gasped. No, not at all. I'm quite used to the 'girl power of packing as if we're moving out' syndrome, as I am also a girl.

With my hand still on the uplifted boot, and my mouth still slightly agape, I looked at the most exquisite bed upholstery, presently dissembled, and the most tempting, skin-friendly matress I have ever seen. It was curled nicely beside the luggage.

"Wow!" I breathed out, my slight irritation at being asked to carry all this load evaporating as joy spread through me.

With new vigour, I proceeded to drag in all the stuff right in.

I enthusiastically thanked my Dad and Mom. They said that Aunt June also contributed to the purchase. I thanked her also.

I took all the bed materials into my room in three trips up and down our single flight of stairs. Still I didn't see Hirena. I was already getting worried.

When I took my last piece of upholstery into the room, I noticed my balcony door was slightly ajar and the harmattan breeze was beginning to slightly sway it.

Jerry's whimper was what gave her away.

I went out. Hirena stood silently, looking out into the garden down below.

I could feel her anger and sadness. It was evident, etched on her stoic face.

I didn't know what to do. I had no idea how sensitive this issue was so I resigned to the only thing that came naturally to me. I stayed beside her, put both hands on the silver railing bordering this balcony and looked straight ahead, pouring prayers to you in my spirit.

Silence reigned. The sun was beginning to recline and its rays splattered beautiful shades of orange, pink and yellow on the sky. The garden looked pristine down below.

"She left?" Hirena's voice quavered like she was holding back tears.

I looked sideways at her. She was beautiful, the evening glow made it more so. But there was something else. Something that made her clench fist and tighten her hands over the railing. Something that made her sideline jaw twitch. Something that I felt I had no idea of or no control over. Something of the past.