Power of Connection

Dear Jesus,

"Well, I guess break's over. Let's head back inside before your Mom thinks we've been kidnapped," I said, trying to lighten up the mood.

"Who was that?" John asked.

"My bestie, Kathlyn Taylor. You met her during the love feast, remember?"

"Oh! I do." Then I thought I heard him mumble, "She's the pretty one." Maybe I was imagining that. So I forced myself not to ask him what he said. It was a much greater struggle not to think too deeply about it. I mean, it could have just been my imagination, right?

Five minutes later, I was trying to clean the center chandelier. John, who I discovered has a phobia for heights, was helping me to steady the stool I climbed on. Thank God Mommy Sarah had given me jeans to wear. If not, the dusty chandelier would have stayed in its dusty glory.

The small bell above the entry door jingled, signifying that someone had entered. We weren't supposed to have any customers today cos we weren't officially opened.

"We are sorry but we aren't open yet," I heard Mommy Sarah say. My back was to the door so I couldn't see who she was talking to.

"We came for Radiance, ma'am."

I lost my balance and toppled over out of shock because that was the voice of my human bestie, Kathy.

Mid fall, I braced myself and prepared for impact upon hitting the floor.

John caught me by my waist.
I don't think I could have gotten more red.
I'll forever be thankful to you Jesus for melanin.

He is light complexioned so a small tint of pink flushed his face.

I regained my center of gravity. Clumsily though.
I mumbled incoherent apologies all the while avoiding his eyes. 

By the time I got over my shock and turned around, I found three pair of entertained and ready-to-burst-into-hysteric-laughter eyes staring back at me.

Not only Kathy, but also Gen and Pris were there. That explained why they came so fast. Gen must have brought them in her convertible.

"Don't. You. Dare. Laugh." I mouthed to them.

Three of them came over and hugged me.
Thank you Jesus for my friends.

We all sat on a round table. Mrs Sarah brought us chilled malt drinks. We thanked her. I made sure to introduce her as John's mother.

"We got so worried when we saw the News," Genevie explained.

"What News again o?" I asked, confused.

"This," Gen said and showed me her iPhone news.

NEMESIS CATCH UP WITH GENERAL OVERSEER OF REDEEMER'S LOVE CHURCH AS HOUSE BURNS DOWN.

Oh bother! This is why I detest news or anything remotely related to it.

"As you should know, that news is not totally true. Our house didn't burn down completely. Only a part was scorched. That's all."

"And why didn't you call us? My house is only a few blocks down your street," Kathy asked in a hurt tone.

"I didn't want to bother you guys yet again."

"Oh! And yet you swiftly called that hunk over there to come to your rescue," Gen said, dreamy-eyed as she stared at John who was arranging drinks in the bar section.

"My, my. Radiance, he's so off your league. Is he your boyfriend?"

I chocked on the malt I was sipping.