70

"Count Dooku is dead." Those were the first words out of Anakin's mouth at the briefing. Everyone around the droid that was serving as a mobile holotable froze. Rex was the first to recover.

"Well that's a heck of a way to kick off a briefing." He sighed. Ahsoka pressed her lips together, staring at the ground in front of her. Almec's last words hung bitterly at the back of her skull. Break Skywalker.

"They attacked Corascant and kidnapped the Chancellor. Me and Plo Koon were sent to rescue him. Dooku managed to knock master Koon out before I could capture him." Anakin reported slowly, his eyes dark and downcast. "I finally saw my chance and took it, cutting off his hands. He tried to tell me something, but then stopped. The Chancellor he... it was on his orders, Ahsoka. I executed Dooku right then and there."

He shook his head and have a humorless chuckle. "They're sending me to Utapau to hunt general Grievous."

Ahsoka crossed her arms thoughtfully. "Then the war could be over soon. Dooku is dead, but if you can capture Grievous and I Caedus then all that's left is-"

"The mysterious sith lord in the shadows. According to Dooku before he died, he has the entirety of the republic senate under his thumb." Anakin finished for her. His face was grim. He glanced up, looking between Bo and Rex. "May Ahsoka and I have the room?" He asked. Bo nodded, turning on her heel and marching out of the room.

Rex glanced nervously at Ahsoka. She smiled, and he left reluctantly. Anakin rubbed at his eyes tiredly, pulling at the hood that framed his face.

"I was... recently appointed a position on the jedi council as the Chancellor's personal representative." He folded his arms, a dark look flashing over his face.

"You were made a Master, Anakin that's-"

"They didn't give me the title of Master." He said sullenly. "They only allowed the Chancellor's request of my being on the council so, as his representative I could spy on him. He's already been in office for far longer than his term allots for, yet they still grant him more emergency powers. But, Ahsoka, he's always been my friend. I can't just turn on him like that. I took the first assignment I could out of here."

Ahsoka's face softened. "Master, do you think there is reason to spy on the Chancellor? Could he be the sith lord?"

Anakin threw back his head and laughed. "Reason, sure there's reason. He's a politician. But a sith? Ahsoka the jedi would have long since sensed him is he had even brushed the force, dark or light."

"True. Is there... anything else?" She asked.

"There's... I don't know, Ahsoka. I just don't feel myself. It's probably just stress, between the war and Padme's pregnancy, which I'm salty you didn't tell me about... I just... it's probably nothing. Just stress. Yeah. Just stress." He sounded like he was trying harder to convince himself rather than Ahsoka.

Ahsoka sighed. "Anakin, go take a nap." She ordered. Anakin gave a small smile and mock saluted.

"Sir yes sir."

"And tell Padme I say hello." She smiled sadly. "Is she well?"

"As well as a senator almost eight months pregnant with twins can be." His eyes glazed over, a fond expression frozen on his face. Ahsoka gasped.

"Twins? Oh boy is that going to be a handful." She laughed. Anakin rolled his eyes.

"Tell me about it. Overall it seems to be going well, but there's something in the back of my head that tells me something bad will happen. Again, probably stress." He sighed. Ahsoka pressed her lips together. Break Skywalker.

"One thing you taught me was to trust the force. And when the force doesn't work, go with your gut because that's probably the force telling you to do something." She smiled. Anakin glanced over his shoulder.

"I have to go. Skywalker out."

The hologram flickered to blank light and the holoprojector shut down. Ahsoka rubbed at her eyes and montrals, sighing slightly as she rejoined Rex and Bo-Katan in the hallway.

"We need to get a lock on Caedus soon." Bo snarled, throwing open the doors to the throne room. "We've exhausted every resource trying to pin down that son of a hutt that we should have found something by now." She growled. A new voice spoke up ahead of them.

"Good thing I'm done hiding then." Caedus was draped across the throne. Before Ahsoka could even react, Bo had her blasters out and was firing at said son of a hutt. Caedus flicked his wrist and sent the bolts flying off to the left and right of him. Lifting his hand almost lazily he picked Bo-Katan up and immobilized her.

Rex raised his blasters and Ahsoka drew her blades. Curled by the throne was a clone in his blacks. His head was bent, but Ahsoka could see the edges of Dogma's V tattoo curling at his hairline.

Caedus set Bo-Katan on her feet, still holding her back from advancing. "My lady, is that any way to treat your Mand'alor?" He asked, a thread of strain in his voice. "And here I came to return your comrade to you, as a show of good faith." Dogma raised his head to furtively glance between Caedus and the trio. Caedus curled his lip. "Off you go. Back to your brothers." Dogma scrambled to his feet, tripping and falling to his knees twice in his haste to get away from the sith.

Rex holstered his 17's and met him half way. Dogma fell against him, shaking and clinging to the captain. Rex slid an arm around Dogma, supporting him.

"It's ok, Dogma. You're safe now." Rex murmured, leading him out of the throne room.

"He's in my head. He saw everything. I saw horrible things, Rex." Dogma gasped.

"You're free now. He's not in your head anymore. It's going to be alright." The doors shut behind them. Caedus gave a bone chilling chuckle, now turning his attention to Bo-Katan and Ahsoka.

"Now, what do we do with you two ladies?"