83

The next few days after Cody's death were a blur, blending into nothing more than ideas and faint impressions. But a day came where the fog that had settled over them lifted.

Rex smiled as Ahsoka rifled through the dresser as she looked for something that would fit both her and their ad'ika inside her. She sighed and pulled out another one of his tee shirts. The material still hung loose around her shoulders but was tighter around the middle. She huffed and smoothed it down.

"I need new clothes." She sighed, grimacing.

Rex wrapped his arms around her, bending down slightly to rest his chin on her shoulder.

"Have I told you you look beautiful today?" He said. Ahsoka giggled, craning her neck slightly to kiss his cheek. He grinned and stepped back.

"Tell you what. Why don't you go into town and get some new clothes?" He said. Ahsoka frowned.

"But it's laundry day and the garden needs to be taken care of so it can be planted next spring and-"

"I'll take care of it." Rex said, handing her her shoes and helping her put them on. Ahsoka frowned.

"What are you playing at?" She asked. Rex shrugged and kissed her forehead.

"I'm not playing at anything. You just haven't been out of the house since Corascant and you're starting to get a little scary." He pointed out.

Ahsoka pouted. "I am not scary." Rex raised his eyebrows at her. She groaned. "Ok, yeah I'm going a little stir crazy." She relented. "Are you sure you-"

"I'll be fine." He sighed and grabbed his jacket, pulling a crumpled piece of paper out of the pocket. He held it out to Ahsoka, not meeting her eyes. "Found this on a job board in the market." He said.

Ahsoka read over the paper. It was an ad for a local shipyard needing short term workers to help with some major commission. Just hauling materials and setting up the basic frameworks for a bunch of the new Lambda class shuttles.

'Hopper's job.' That's what Anakin called it. Short term contract, good pay, no background check. Money was getting increasingly more tight. Lux insisted on taking care of the bills for them, which was a relief that Ahsoka didn't want to admit. Even with that help, only about four hundred of the original nine remained.

"I wanted to make sure it's ok with you before signing on." Rex said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'd be away from home almost all day, every weekday. If something were to happen..."

Ahsoka pressed her lips to his.

"I'd be fine." She said. Rex sighed, gently tugging up the hem of her shirt. He pressed a palm to the side of her stomach, fingertips brushing white stripe-like markings that had appeared over the last few weeks. The small life within her seemed to pulse with the force, making Rex smile a little. This young and already showing signs of strength in force. He recognized his father.

"It's not you I'm worried about." He said. "This job will potentially last for months, depending on how fast we'd work. If you fell, or somebody hunted you down..." He took a shuddering breath. "I know how incompatible our species are, and the differences in our genetics can cause dozens of issues with our ad'ika."

Ahsoka shook her head. "You worry too much. If something goes wrong I can call Steela or Lux, if he's planetside."

Rex nodded. "I know I do. I can't help it." He sighed, then put on a smile and kissed the tip of a montral. "I cleared out the old road that goes into town. Nice and and plant free, with the exception of a couple roots."

Ahsoka grabbed a robe hanging by the door of their room. "Well, everything tends to be a hazard when you can't see your feet." She grumbled with a smile. "I'll be back before dark."