35

The temple hadn't changed much since Ahsoka had left. Younglings still played among the columns, Padawans walking in groups of two or three, talking. Young knights hurried about their work, stopping only for a word or two among friends or comrades. The oldest knights and masters sat on the various benches and fountains, either reading a holonovel or surrounded by a gaggle of children and younger padawans as they told animated stories of their times as a jedi.

It felt like coming home, yet she never felt so alone and out of place. She didn't belong here. She had given it up as the corruption from the politics poisoned the minds of her teachers and masters.

It didn't help that she had been the first person to willingly leave the order in decades. Everybody knew who she was. Silence fell as she passed, every person to the left or right stopping and staring at the young togruta. She resisted the urge to wring her hands nervously, instead holding them at her sides in cool confidence.

She was here for a reason. The life of Alinia and her unborn child were more than her pride was ever worth.

Of course, as luck would have it, the first person to actually confront her was Master Windu.

"Mrs. Tano, as you made it very clear when you left, there is nothing here for you." He said coldly, his deep voice carrying through the hallways and gardens. "Leave." It was an order like he would give his men. Ahsoka's spine stiffened as she stood at attention.

"Respectfully, Master jedi, no." She said, her tone matching his perfectly. A muscle ticked in his jaw.

"No?"

"As your codes state, if multiple recognized sentient beings are in danger of life, limb, or loss of culture, they may find refuge and knowledge in the temple. I have a case I wish to state to the jedi council." She clasped her hands behind her and took a miniscule step backwards. She was deferring to him.

"The council is very busy, as I am sure you are aware. What is the benefactor of this... issue." He asked. Ahsoka pressed her lips together.

"This is not a conversation to have-"

"Let me rephrase that. What is the cause of this problem that could possibly endanger lives." He interrupted her. Ahsoka tilted her head slightly.

"The cause of the problem, is in due to the rapid ageing of your clone army." She said slowly and deliberately. She felt a flicker of anger and annoyance from the jedi master, strong enough that it slipped past his shields.

"Mrs. Tano. The clones, as bright and human as they are, are not recognized sentients. If your only concern is for them, then the rules you have invoked do not apply. Leave this place you have disturbed, or be removed though force." He all but growled the words, turning his back.

"What about a Cathar woman and her unborn child?" She called after him at his back, taking a step forward. The temple guard seemed to appear out of nowhere, drawing their glaring yellow blades and baring her path. "Not to mention any other children that may come from a relationship with a clone. It is in their very limited regulations to have relationships with civilians, as frowned upon as it is." Ahsoka crossed her arms in front of her chest.

Windu stopped. His fists spasmed at his side, a rare outward display of anger.

"The council is busy with strategies regarding the situation on Kashykk. If you want information on this subject, I will get you in touch with Master Ti and Nala Se. They will have answers needed." He said coolly. Ahsoka nodded.

"Very well then. I will return here tomorrow." She said flatly, her words clipped as the old fury rushed back.

"Mrs. Tano, the Cathar woman?" He asked before she could turn around. Ahsoka pursed her lips, and only mostly succeeded in keeping the smugness out of her voice.

"I'm sorry, master jedi. Patient confidentiality." She snarked before turning on her heel and marching back the way she came. She didn't make it half way when a group of younglings rushed up upon her. Very familiar younglings.

"Ahsoka!" Kantooni cried, launching herself at the togruta and hugging her. The others from the Gathering were also there. Ahsoka smiled at them.

"Kantooni, Gungi, Zatt, Petro, Ganodi, and Byph." She named each one of them in turn. They all lit up when she said their names.

"So it's true? You left the order?" Kantooni asked nervously. Ahsoka looked down.

"Yes. I left the order." She said. Petro frowned.

"Why?"

"Well, somebody made it look like I did some bad things, and the order refused to help me. The threw me out, and I didn't want to come back." Ahsoka put is as simply as she could. Her commlink beeped, and she sighed. "I have to go now. It was good seeing all of you again."

She stood up to leave. Kantooni tugged on her sleeve to get her attention.

"Tell Captain Rex I say hi?" She asked shyly. Ahsoka's face fell, and she hoped her acting skills were good.

"Captain Rex was killed in helping me prove my innocence." She said quietly. Kantooni's eyes widened.

"Not the Captain, they wouldn't have. He was the best clone in the whole republic!" She looked up at her with big sad eyes. Ahsoka ran a hand down the scales on the back of the tholothian's head soothingly.

"I know he was. He really liked you, Kantooni." She whispered consolingly. Her comm beeped again, more urgently. "I really have to go now. I'll be back tomorrow, ok?"

Kantooni sniffed and wiped her eyes. "Ok."

Ahsoka waved to the rest of the younglings and walked back down the temple steps before answering her comm.

"Tano here."

"Ahsoka!" Came Padme's voice from the other end of the comm. "Are you off work?"

"Yes, I am in fact. Is everything alright?" Ahsoka started to the turbo lift that would take her down to her level.

"Yes, actually. I was wondering if you would like to come visit me for dinner tonight. I have some exciting news!" She practically squealed over the comm. Ahsoka held it away from her face.

"If you'll have me. What kinda news?" She asked. She could hear Padme's smile from the other end of the comm.

"The kind best shared face to face. How long until you can get here?"

"Only about five-ish minutes." She said.

"Must be some fast speeder you've got." Padme remarked.

"No speeder. To expensive for fuel and upkeep. I prefer walking anyways. I just happen to be in the area." Ahsoka started for the senatorial apartments only a few blocks down at a brisk pace.

"What kinda work for a low level hospital would take you all the way up here to the surface?"

"More work than you'd think. I'll see you in a dash or so."

"Never thought I'd hear underbelly slang from you of all people. See you then."

Padme cut the connection.