79

Cody woke up to darkness. That was nothing new, he had been totally blind for almost two weeks now.

What scared him is that he wasn't in the market place, and he couldn't remember where he was.

He was laying on something firm with just enough give not to be comfortable. A hand was on his shoulder.

He struggled a bit as he tried to remember where he was when the person he was laying on spoke.

"Cody? What's wrong?" A brother's raspy sleep ridden voice whispered softly. The memories of the previous day came rushing back and he stopped moving.

"Rex?" He breathed. So it wasn't a dream.

"I'm here. I'm here ori'vod." The hand on his shoulder slid to his hair, pulling slightly as he worked out the matts some more.

"What time is it?" Cody asked. Rex shifted under him. Cody heard the soft tap of his finger against his wristchrono.

"Just after two in the morning." He whispered. "Ahsoka's asleep in the next room over."

Cody pulled his knees to his chest. A thick and fuzzy blanket had been thrown over him. He felt for the edges of it and pulled it up a little higher. He used Rex's knee to help him lever himself into a half sitting position.

Rex lifted his arm up and settled it around his shoulders gently.

"I didn't know there was anybody else." Cody whispered. "Is there...any other vode who've been freed?" He asked.

"Only one other that I know of. He was with his girlfriend when it happened. Had a month leave he was planning to spend with her and their newborn daughter. He agreed to have the chip removed for his family's sake." Rex said softly. "Other than him... nobody else."

"She saved you?" Cody asked. "Ahsoka, that is." Rex nodded before remembering that Cody couldn't see him.

"Yeah."

Cody ducked his head and curled a little closer to Rex, pressing into his side. He knew he was being more than a little clingy, but he couldn't help it. Rex was alive. He was free. He found Cody and was going to take him to Onderon. He wasn't alone anymore.

Rex seemed to understand. He wrapped the blanket around Cody's frail frame and hugged him tightly.

"We were in Hyperspace when it happened." Rex said quietly. "The hyperdrive was destroyed. I lost my entire cruiser and every man in it. Ahsoka, a mandalorian representative, and I were the only survivors as far as I know."

His voice was haggard. Cody sniffed a little, his face pressed into Rex's shoulder. Something wet hit Cody's head. It was only then he realized Rex was crying.

"Seeing that smoking wreck on some force forsaken moon broke me. I shut down completely. Ahsoka-" he cut off with a shaking breath. "She gave every single one of those men a proper burial. Worked her shebs off to make sure they wouldn't be forgotten while I sat by in my own little world." He hugged Cody a little tighter.

It occurred to Cody that he might not be the only one desperate for the company of a vod.

"We leave early. Try and get some sleep, Ori'vod. It's going to be a busy day tomorrow." Rex murmured softly. Cody shook his head.

"You need sleep too." He protested. Rex sighed.

"Here." He whispered. He carefully pulled away from Cody and shifted, moving around him. Then he gently took Cody's hand and gently pulled him down so they were laying flat against each other. Cody sighed contentedly, wrapping his arms around Rex like a stuffed animal.