73

Ahsoka took a shaking breath. "You're sure?"

"Absolutely." Rex met her eyes. Ahsoka slumped. She threw her arms around Rex and buried her face in his neck.

"Anakin will be devastated." She whispered.

"If he's alive." Rex murmured back. "Sorry, not helping, I know." Ahsoka pressed a soft kiss to his lips.

"Here and now." She whispered. Rex nodded

"Here and now." He repeated. There was a crackle coming from the door. They were using torches to unseal it from the other side.

Ahsoka walked around the edge of the gurney they were sitting on, passing Rex his helmet. Survival was key at the moment, but a battle immediately after brain surgery was dangerous. Especially because this was the third surgery he'd had in that same spot.

She brushed one last kiss against his lips before he tugged the helmet down over his face. Something whispered in the back of her mind that they may not get this small intimacy for a long time.

"Got a plan?" Rex asked apprehensively.

"The rough draft of one." She raised her hands and closed her eyes, focusing on the door. "Ready with your blasters. Set those things to stun. I don't want to kill anybody just yet."

Rex obeyed uncertainly. Ahsoka mentally counted in her head as she felt the seals on the door begin to weaken. Just a little longer.

"Ahsoka....?" Rex trailed off warningly.

"Almost... Now!" She shouted, throwing as much strength she could muster into a force shove, sending the door flying back and smashing through the clones.

She dove out of the way, snagging her sabers from her hips. Rex fired at the remaining clones, stunning them all in seconds.

Ahsoka got to her feet, igniting her blades and leading the way out the door. A clone that had been hit by the door had cracked armor. Blood seeped from his bicep into a steadily growing pool on the floor. He let out a weak cry and twitched. Ahsoka's heart sank when she saw his armor didn't fit right.

He was a younger clone. Eight years old at the most.

Rex sighed. "The boys are having a hard time of it. Did you hear Caedus escaped?"

Ahsoka pressed her lips together. Rex touched her shoulder.

"If we're going to get out of this alive we'll need a distraction." She muttered, hating herself.

Rex tilted his head at her. "We'll probably both do things we'll regret today." He put a hand on her shoulder. "Where too, Commander?"

Right. Survival. "The hanger control tower." She answered, forcing down her emotions. The droids followed them through the halls. The ship shook as they neared the tower, Rex stumbling into Ahsoka and sending them both sprawling.

Rex put a hand to his head where the bacta patch was under his helmet. Ahsoka waited until the shuddering of the ship stopped. She reached out to help him to his feet. Rex took her hand and let himself be pulled upright.

"I'm guessing fighting for your life isn't proper aftercare for brain surgery?" He grumbled.

Ahsoka shook her head, slowing her blistering pace a little as they neared the doors. "No. Tell me if you suddenly feel sick." She ordered. Rex nodded.

"Yes ma'am." He readied his blasters as R7 opened the doors to the tower. Moving quickly, he stunned his brothers manning the tower:

Cheep shut and locked the doors behind them. Rex ran over to the terminal, looking for what had caused the blast.