31

Ahsoka anxiously awaited the second call, the call saying that whatever crisis had happened had passed and Rex was ok.

It never came. Ahsoka jumped every time her comm rang, but it was usually just Ventress or Lotta calling her to make sure she was ok. She and the pantoran had become fast friends, Lotta taking her out for caf and lunch a couple times, always asking Ahsoka to tell her a few stories about her time with the GAR.

At first, Ahsoka told her only the fun, light hearted stories, usually involving the clones pulling stupid stunts. Other times, she dared to tell her new friend the darker ones. Trandosha and Felucia. Onderon. The Citidel.

Storytelling helped distract her from checking her comm every thirty seconds, but it wasn't enough. Finally, nearly a week after Rex's first call, it rang. Ahsoka lurched out of bed at such an ungodly hour that even the partygoers that always seemed to be rowdy and obnoxious were mostly quiet.

She dug at her eyes and answered the comm, desperately hoping her husband would answer. It powered on, and did reveal her husband.

Her husband sitting up, cross legged in an infirmary cott. Bandages were wrapped around his head and shoulder, his arm in a sling tied close to his bare chest. His face and upper torso were molted with bruises. The dark rings under his eyes were even more pronounced, but his face lit up when he saw her.

"Ahsoka!" He grinned around a bruised cheek. Ahsoka smiled in return, desperately wishing she was by his bedside at that moment.

"I'm here. What happened? Will you be ok?" She asked, sitting up a little straighter and leaning forward. Rex shifted, wincing,

"I'll be ok. Seppies slipped past the line, managed to get a mortar fired off at the command center before retreating. Nobody died, I think I was the worst off. Just a concussion and a dislocated shoulder." He answered, his tone light despite his obvious pain. "I'm sorry it took so long to call again. It's been crisis after crisis out here. Pathetic excuse, I know, but it's the only one I have. I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it. War is unpredictable. I get it." She yawned and rubbed her eyes tiredly, feeling the late hour. Rex frowned in concern.

"Have you been sleeping? Are you alright?" He asked quietly. Ahsoka cut off her yawn and nodded.

"Yep. Just... time differences. It's a little on the late side on Corascant." She supplied, turning the comm so he could still see her as she made a cup of caf.

"Time diff... skrag. I dragged you out of bed didn't I." He sighed, slumping a little.

"It's fine, really. Seeing you is worth it." Ahsoka smiled tiredly and sipped on her hot drink, shivering slightly as the caffeine hit her system.

"No, it's not. One of us shouldn't have to go without sleep or precious time for other stuff just to see the other." He huffed, then winced a little as the movement jostled his shoulder.

"But that's the way it is right now, love. And I'm grateful we have even this." Ahsoka said softly. Rex shifted so he could lean back against the wall behind him comfortably. Ahsoka tilted her head. "Is there something else on your mind? You're restless." She noted. Rex pressed his lips together and blew out a long breath, tipping his head back.

"Half a galaxy away and you still can read me like a book." He said ruefully. "Just been looking at the tactics the seppies are using. They're new, like nothing we have in our databanks. The worrying thing is that they almost... well, they almost look like Republic tactics. More specifically, mine."

"Yours? How could the CIS get ahold of your tactics?" Ahsoka asked worriedly. If there was a leak using stuff from Rex's head, then they were all in trouble. Rex was one of the best military strategists they had.

"I don't know. Most of them are stuff I've never even given to Cody or my generals. But..." He trailed off. Ahsoka looked at him expectantly and he sighed. "Ahsoka, I know this sounds crazy, but I think Echo is alive." He said quietly. Ahsoka's eyes widened.

"Rex, Echo-"

"Died at the Citadel. Or so we thought. We only ever saw his helmet. No body. And these strategies look eerily like the ones Echo and I drew up." He hesitated. "And on Illum, during my trial, Ahsoka, I gave up. Maybe it was the caves, or the force, or maybe my own mind playing tricks on me, but I saw him. He lead me out. And when he slipped into shadows again... He told me I'd see him again."

"Rex... I know how close you were to Echo. But this also could be a trick. If it's not him..." She chewed a lip nervously as she searched for words.

"I know. I know. I just... I need you to trust me. Until I know the truth." He pleaded, his eyes big and pleading. Ahsoka leaned forward, so that their foreheads would have bushed if not for the fact that they were hundreds of miles apart in an odd form of a kedalbe kiss.

"Rex, I will follow you to the ends of the galaxy, and I'll always trust you. But... I don't want you to but all your johgans in one crate. Hope is a powerful thing, but if it's misplaced it can be devastating." Her voice was barely above a whisper. Rex took a shuddering breath, and sat back.

"I miss you. I know it's selfish to want you here, but I can't help it. I need your voice of reason." He rubbed at the back of his neck, his head hung low.

"Rex, missing somebody you love is natural. I wish I was at least there with you. Watching your six again. But we can't have that right now, so comm calls it is. If there's something I can do to help you, in any way at all, please comm me." Ahsoka asked. Rex nodded.

"I guess hearing your voice is enough. I have to go now, Cyare. Get some sleep, and some food, and please don't run yourself into the ground like the workaholic you are." He said mock sternly. Ahsoka cracked a grin at that.

"As long as you take care of yourself too, I'll be alright."