66

Ahsoka's pulse pounded in her ears as the gunships of the republic broke orbit and started to make their way down to atmo. She took a deep breath, making eye contact with Bo-Katan. The mandalorian was equally grim as she gave final orders that were broadcasted to the rest of the assault craft as they descended.

Rex was standing next to Ahsoka, but all she felt from him was cool anticipation. She really had been away from this for too long. Her heart ached as she looked around at the men in the gunship with them. They were here because she asked them to be. If they died, their deaths were on her head.

Rex, probably picking up on her inner turmoil, brushed his hand against hers. He gently laced his fingers through hers, giving her a small tip of the head. Ahsoka nodded, answering his silent question. He gave her hand a brief squeeze before letting go. Ahsoka focused on her rapid heartbeat, taking slow deep breaths and holding them before exhaling.

She was mostly successful until Bo's commlink went off, startling her and sending her pulse back up through the roof. Bo answered. The face of an older man appeared. It took Ahsoka to recognise him.

"Lady Kryze what is the meaning of this invasion!" He demanded. Bo-Katan's face twisted around a cold sneer.

"We know you are Caedus's puppet, Almec. And we are coming for him." She growled. Almec tipped his head.

"This will only make you an enemy in the eyes of the people." He warned. Bo smiled thinly.

"The only enemy the people see are the enemy of the winning side." She taunted before cutting the connection. She turned to look at the rest of the clones. "Sixty seconds 'til we hit the drop point." Bo called over the internal comms.

The panels on the sides of the ship opened along with the rear ramp. Wind whipped at Ahsoka's clothes and tugged at her rig length lekku.

"Thirty seconds."

She swallowed and blinked, clearing the tears formed from the sheer power of the gusts hitting her full in the face. Rex tensed behind her, numb readiness setting into his force signature.

"Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one-" The clones around them jumped, throwing themselves clear of the gunships and allowing a few gut wrenching seconds of freefall before engaging the jetpacks. Bo-Katan jammed her helmet on and stepped to the back of the ship, onto the lowered ramp.

"Well? What are you waiting for?" She called, jumping off the end. Rex glanced at Ahsoka.

"Sorry, didn't think to bring you a jetpack." He called over the roar of the wind. Ahsoka tilted her head.

"Rex, love, you of all people should know I don't need one." She quipped playfully. Rex gave her a lopsided grin. She sauntered over to press a kiss on his cheek before glancing out of the ship. The nerves, temporarily were put out of her mind, brought the thrill of all this to light. She gave him a two fingered 'Anakin salute' with a big grin. "Race you to the bottom!" She yelled, jumping.

Rex's laugh followed her as she fell, igniting her blades as she plummeted. If the wind was strong in the gunship, it was even worse in free fall. She reached out with the force, just enough to direct herself to a gunship that had been attacked by mandalorians in red and charcoal armor, she flew straight into the open side panels.

She caught the overhead rail and used it to guide herself in. Quickly, she crouched low and pivoted, kicking a leg out to knock one of the mando's off her feet and send her falling to the floor before sliding out of the plane completely.

Turning her pivot into a rising spin, Ahsoka ducked under a cable another mando shot to wrap around his comrade behind her. As they got tangled together, Ahsoka lashed out once more, kicking the mando behind her in the face while she open palm punched the other, throwing both of them off her gunship.