76

Lux's version of small was definitely not Ahsoka's. The two story house was bigger than anything Ahsoka had to ever call home. There was a fruit and vegetable garden out back, and a open space that hid the shuttle perfectly.

Quin was allowed to stay with them until Rex recovered, or six months. Bo Katan shook her head.

"I've seen this immobilizing sadness before. People who've lost everything... it saps the energy from them." She said solemnly. Ahsoka sighed.

"Do... do they every recover?" She asked. Bo sighed.

"It depends who stays by their side. It is good to see you alive, Ahsoka. You've already earned a name from the people. They called you Half Day. For how long you held the saber." Bo touched the saber at her hip. "The jedi that fought by our side when we needed it."

Ahsoka managed a wry smile. "I'm honored."

"As you well deserve to be. Good luck, Ahsoka Tano." Her hologram disappeared.

Quin put a hand on her shoulder. "If anyone could get over this, it's Rex. Especially with you by his side."

Ahsoka glanced up at him. "Thanks for the vote of confidence." She sighed, turning and walking slowly to the room where Rex sat. She opened the blinds and let the late afternoon sun shine brilliantly through the glass. Glancing at him, she forced a smile and kissed his cheek.

"I'm going to see the garden. I'll be back soon." She said, adjusting the blankets around him a little and running her hand through his hair. He would want a haircut soon enough, even though Ahsoka preferred it like this.

There was still no response. A slow blink, but his gaze never wavered from the wall. Ahsoka didn't let herself dwell on that. All she could do was be there for him now.

The garden was beautiful. Among the fruits and vegetables she also found several different flowers. Reaching out thoughtfully, she picked a couple of blue and white ones that seemed to be the most abundant. She didn't want to take too much from the garden, but these few wouldn't be missed.

She took her small posy of flowers inside. She quickly filled a small cup of water to put them in. A thought struck her. She carefully took the flowers up to hers and Rex's room. She set them on the windowsill, where the glass sparkled in the golden light.

"There." She said softly, standing back to admire it. She made another trip downstairs, this time to get a second cup of water for Rex.

She had the trick down now, and he seemed to be taking the water easier. A good sign? She pressed a kiss to his lips before her stomach reminded her it existed. It was almost time for dinner.

~

Rex wasn't sure what had woken him up. Ahsoka lay next to him, her head on his chest like normal. He blinked and the curtain fluttered, sending a few bright shards of sunlight onto his face. Ah. That's what woke him.

His eyes shut again, and he tried to go back into that same darkness of sleep. Wasn't much else he could do. Too late. Ahsoka stirred next to him and he opened his eyes once more.

She yawned and gave him a half smile. "G'morn'in love." She slurred, stretching her arms above her head and cracking her joints stiffly.

She carefully slid an arm under him and gently guided him to sit up, sliding a pillow behind his back and letting him rest against the wall.

He felt her fingers trace down the side of his ribcage.

"It's been over a week, Rex. Should we try and eat something today?" She asked softly, getting out of bed and padding over to the bag she left on the dresser. "It's such a beautiful day out. Warm and sunny, although a tad too warm for my taste. It's supposed to be autumn here. I guess being near the equator makes everything warmer." She said, changing and getting ready for the day.

She left to the bathroom across the hall and returned some time later, a small bucket of water, some shave cream, and his razor in tow. A towel was thrown over her shoulder

She set the bucket on the bedside table and spread the towel in his lap. Carefully she set to work, shaving the scratchy stubble from his face and neck. She flinched for him when she nicked his jaw, apologizing profusely.

She patted his face dry when she was done, smiling at him. She gave him a kiss before she hurried away. Rex just sat, staring at the wall and letting himself retreat even farther back into his head.

Ahsoka came and went one last time, putting flowers in the windowsill like she had every morning for the past few days.

There was a flash of light that jolted him out of his very inner self, if only for a few moments. He instinctively looked to where the flash came from, his neck aching at the movement after sitting still for so long. It was the flowers. Blue and white with a couple yellow ones in there today.

For the first time in what seemed to be an eternity, he felt a small spark of curiosity. He stared at them for a long time. They were much nicer to look at than the wall.

Eventually, though, the shadows began to shift. Rex felt a dim pang of annoyance. He had liked the way the light shone on them.

He did it without thinking about it, shifting the glass back into the bright sunlight with his mind. The shadows moved again and again, he shifted the glass. A headache began to build behind his eyes, though. It got worse the third time he shifted the glass, and it hit the side of the window.

He didn't like the pain. He sank a little deeper back into his mind, seeking that blissful unconcerned peace he felt. But he couldn't get that far back. It annoyed him. He wanted that sweet relief. It was nice and quiet and simple when he didn't have to care.

Ahsoka was back. She had a blended up bunch of fruit in a glass in one hand. Rex looked at the flowers, feeling slightly disappointed as the light was shifting again and he couldn't move the flowers any farther.

Ahsoka noticed he was looking at something other than the wall. His gaze was still broken and empty, but it had a focus it hadn't had earlier. She followed his line of vision and smiled.

"They're pretty, aren't they. I thought you would like them." She sat by his side. She gave a start after a moment, leaning forward and looking between him and the flowers. "But they were in the middle of the windowsill when I left." She said, frowning. Rex said nothing, still disappointed that the glass didn't sparkle like it had a minute ago.

She brightened almost immediately. "Which means you must have. Ha! We'll beat this yet." She smiled, giving him a kiss on the cheek and lifting the drink up to his lips.

When it hit the back of his throat Rex swallowed reflexively. And again, and again until he drained most of the glass. She set it down on the bedside table. Rex's stomach felt like it had shrunk to the size of a tree nut. Even that little bit of food made him feel slightly sick.

Ahsoka gently massaged the knots out of his neck and upper shoulders. Rex didn't remember closing his eyes, but he woke up in a ball with his head in Ahsoka's lap. She was humming tunelessly.

As melodic and musical she sounded when she made those chirps and trills that he couldn't understand, she had been right when she said she couldn't sing in basic. She was trying to remember the words to the lullaby he had sang to her during the siege of Onderon. Except for the fact she was way off key and wildly out of tune.

She stopped when she noticed he was awake, thankfully. She pressed a kiss to his forehead and helped him sit up. The sun was low in the sky now, the window showing brilliant streaks of pink and gold.

That's when Rex realize that he could actually move. He didn't really want to, but it felt good to adjust his position every once and a while.

He watched Ahsoka as she extracted her self from him. She lit up as she noticed his eyes tracking her.

"Hey! Welcome back." She half whispered, half squealed. Rex didn't say anything, but he gave a twitch of his lips that could be a smile.