81

Cody crouched in a ball on the bed, his head pounding from behind his eyes to the base of his skull.

There was a soft knock at the door, the sound reverberating through him and sending a flash of needle sharp pain down his spine.

"Cody?" A whisper as loud as the roar of a mortar rippled through him.

"Go'way." He slurred. "Mi'raine." There was a click as the door shut. He curled into a tighter ball. He could beat this.

It was when the little voice in the back of his head spoke up that he began to get scared.

Good soldiers-

No! He wasn't a soldier anymore. He was just a blind man living with his brother and his brother's riddur on Onderon.

Good soldier-

He was stronger than this. It couldn't control him.

Good sold-

It was broken. A malfunction. It couldn't win.

Good-

He was a human being. He was more than just a product. The thing in his head chuckled. It blended into familiar voices.

You can't fight forever, Kote.

He heard Caedus saying his name, his true name. He heard the chancellor's laugh echoing. He heard the sounds of thousands of enemies he'd faced. The sound of his general who betrayed him.

The one that stood out the most among those voices was his own.

Cody blacked out.

When he came too, he wasn't in his room. He tensed until he recognized where he was. The living room, presumably on the couch. Small hands, callused yet gentle carded through his hair.

"What happened?" He asked hoarsely, trying to sit up. Ahsoka pushed him back onto the couch.

"You had a seizure and fell off the bed." She said softly. "Rex heard you fall and brought you down here."

Cody grunted. "Where's Rex now?"

"Making the trek into town. I gave him a grocery list and we want to see how much it costs for a local medcenter." She said.

"Medcenter?" Cody asked.

"Ultrasounds for me and the baby, just to make sure everything's ok. We also want to see if we can get you in, see what's wrong with your eyes." She whispered.

"I fell. There's nothing else too it." He said stubbornly, shaking her hands off his shoulders and sitting up.

"Cody, you've had migraines on and off for a week. Throw in a seizure and this is far more serious than you've been letting on." She slid closer to him and touched his arm gently. "Why didn't you tell us?" She asked.

Cody sighed, leaning forward on his forearms and reflexively closing his sightless eyes.

"Didn't want to be any more of a burden." He muttered. Ahsoka grabbed his shoulders and spun him around harshly to face her.

"Now you listen here and you listen good." She growled. "You are not a burden. You will never be a burden." She shook him a little. "So don't you dare call yourself one." Her hands were trembling a bit on his shoulders. "Understood?"

Cody swallowed thickly. The back of his head tickled with a conversation he and General Kenobi had before... had when Cody served under him.

"Go, general. I'll watch your back." An injured Cody told him, daring to give his general a command.