72

Rex walked ahead of the coffin like crypt. Ahsoka insisted having her duel with Bo-Katan as soon as possible, but he hadn't seen her since Bo all but mopped the floor with her. He had gone poking around the medbay, just managing to catch a glimpse of her black eye and bruises before Di'atiryi chased him out.

He smiled as he felt a flicker of warmth over the bond they shared. For a siege, it had been an impressively short amount of time. Just over two weeks total, almost unheard of. Anakin should take notes.

He walked the crypt to the shuttle that would take them to the Adamant in orbit. Ahsoka was talking to Bo-Katan a ways off, smiling and laughing a bit despite the bandages wrapping her torso and arm.

She and Bo shook hands, nodding at the other. Ahsoka turned her back on the niteowl, only limping a little as she boarded the shuttle. Caedus glared at them from behind the thick glass plate in front of him, then closed his eyes.

Rex saw her staring at the crypt. He put a hand on her least bruised shoulder.

"He can't hurt anybody from there." He said. Ahsoka sighed.

"I know. But... I guess just having him so close has me on edge." She glanced around. "Where's Dogma? How is he doing after Caedus..." She trailed off.

Rex presses his lips together. "He was taken ahead of us. He... he's confused." He shook his head. "He never should have had to go through that. Nobody should." His fists tightened at his sides.

Ahsoka put a hand on his shoulder. "Caedus is literally in a crypt behind us. He won't hurt anybody else. Not if I have a say."

Rex smiled. "Dogma is strong. I know he'll recover. But... I don't know. I just can't shake the feeling that something is going to happen." He sighed. Ahsoka pressed her lips together.

"Well, I've called ahead to the council of idiots. They're expecting Caedus all tried up with a pretty bow in fifteen hours." Rex snickered.

"Is that what we're calling them now?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Got it off of Asajj." Her smile slipped a bit. "I... didn't tell them about Anakin."

Rex frowned. "Why not?"

"They... aren't kind to him to begin with. I'm sure some of them are just waiting for the opportunity to tie him down and examine him. You think that would give him any peace of mind?" She asked. Rex curled his lip.

"No, it certainly wouldn't. Be a rather nasty surprise for him to come back to." He grimaced.

"You can say that again." She smiled. "Speaking of surprises, I have one for you when we get back to Corascant, assuming you're not pulled away immediately?" She asked. Rex shook his head.

"Not likely. What kind of surprise?" He asked suspiciously. Ahsoka winked at him cheekily.

"The good kind, I hope."

Rex huffed and glared at her. "That's my line." He pouted. Ahsoka snickered.

"Uh huh. You can have it back when I'm done using it." Rex rolled his eyes, fighting a smile.

"Oh for the love of the Force," Complained a clone loudly from behind them. "Just kiss and get it over with." The brother next to him elbowed him.

"Shriek, you can't just say that to two superior officers." He hissed. Shriek groaned dramatically.

"Oh please, it's not like we're not all thinking it." Rex's face was darker than a thundercloud as he opened his mouth to yell at the two idiots from Storm company. Ahsoka dragged him down by the pauldron to kiss his cheek. He closed his mouth, opened it again, then gave up and jammed his helmet on.