52

Rex didn't get much sleep the rest of the night, opting to sit up with Anakin and Echo instead. Echo fell asleep on Rex's shoulder a couple times while Anakin tinkered with his legs, making it easier for him to walk and balance, but never for more than an hour at a time.

The others were awake at the first light streaming through the front viewport. Tech was awake first, blinking sleepily at them. 

"Have any of slept?" He asked. Rex just gave him a small smile. 

"Maybe." He gave a jaw cracking yawn. "Not much, though." Anakin chuckled next to them, turning some part around in his hands and tinkering with it a little before snapping it in place. 

"Sleep deprivation won't keep me from knocking to to the dust in our little demonstration. Try standing now, Echo." Rex stood and offered Echo a hand, helping his brother to his feet. Echo still leaned against him for support, but he could somewhat balance now. 

"Better, sir." Echo nodded, sitting back down heavily. The clank of his legs against the ground woke up Hunter and Crosshair, who instantly had blasters aimed at him. Rex stepped between them, one hand on his blaster and the other on his saber. Anakin glanced between the two and Rex before waving at Hunter. 

"'Morning!"

Hunter gave a slightly confused wave back. "Been working?"

"Yep." Anakin started to pack up the tools and unnecessary parts that were scattered around him.  "Get the navi computer ready. As soon as we leave orbit we'll make the jump. While it's calibrating, wake up Wrecker and me and Rex will give a demonstration."  

Rex sighed and dug at his eyes tiredly. Really, he just wanted to get back to Anaxes and call Ahsoka, but that was a four hour trip even by hyperspace, and he probably had even more debriefing and paperwork before he could even think of having a moment to slip away. He pulled the hilt of his saber from his belt and fingered it carefully as Hunter shook Wrecker roughly. 

 Once they were all awake and ready to go, Rex and Anakin stepped out into the early morning light, igniting their sabers. 

"Hey Rex, remember to at least try to put on a show, ok?" Anakin called as they stood ten feet apart. Rex sighed and dropped into the familiar starting position. 

"Is that code for 'Don't hold back' or 'Your defeat will be long and painful'?" Rex asked. Anakin laughed. 

"Yes." 

Rex groaned and turned down his blade as to not hurt his general. Anakin did the same and the two began to circle. Anakin was the one to attack first with a showy lunge. Rex parried and tried to gain some distance between them. Anakin pressed forward, the blades clashing in some extravagant training sets. Rex twisted away from a close call and dove, rolling and coming up on his knees to slash at Anakin's middle. 

It was blocked, of course, and in return Anakin nearly took off his head. They continued back and forth for a while when Rex finally managed to score a small hit on Anakin's arm. The small strike burned the fabric of his robes a little. Anakin gave a little chuckle, and Rex knew he was kriffed. He didn't last another thirty seconds, the general neatly disarmed him and knocked him to the ground, the blue blade humming at his throat.

"Ok! I yield!" Rex yelped, laughing. Anakin shut down his blade and offered him a hand. Rex took it and stood, brushing himself off. There were cheers and claps from behind them from Echo and the Bad Batch. Anakin, being dramatic as always, gave a perfect theater bow left and right to the small audience. Rex collected his blade. 

"Are we ready to go?" He asked, turning to Hunter. Hunter nodded. 

"Waiting for the order, Captain." Hunter smiled. Wrecker disappeared into the ship, presumably to start the preflight checks one last time. Anakin nodded.

"Let's get Echo home."

By the time they got back, it was sunset on Anaxes. Echo was walking on his own now, albeit with an improvised crutch. Rex smiled and put a hand on his shoulder as the ramp leading down. 

"It's good to have you back, Echo." Rex smiled thinly. Echo matched the slightly bitter grin. 

"Do I hear a 'but' in there?" He asked softly. 

Rex looked at the ground. "You've been away for a while, and you've... well, you've changed. You won't fit in here the way you used to. I just... I just wanted you to know that you will be reinstated as an ARC, but if you feel you belong somewhere else, then I support your decision entirely." Echo's mouth opened and closed a couple times. Then, unexpectedly, he threw his arms around Rex in a bone crushing hug. 

"Thank you, sir. You have no idea how much that means to me." Echo said quietly, a slight hitch in his voice as he pulled back, slightly embarrassed. Rex just smiled wider. 

"I think I understand more than you realize. C'mon, let's get you to medical and try to get the internal stuff sorted." He said, leading the way to the infirmary. Kix looked up from his desk, and his mouth fell open. He ran his hand through his grown out hair. 

"Kriffing harans. You actually found... Echo." He breathed, standing up and walking a full circle around him, taking in the cybernetics and ragged scars where metal met flesh. "The really did a number on you, didn't they, vod?" 

"Yeah." Echo's voice was small. "Got some issues with cybernetics internally. Need to get that sorted out, preferably soon." 

Kix nodded. "Agreed. I'll send for our best mechanics. For now, let's get an MRI and see what exactly we're looking at." He clasped Echo's shoulder and started to usher him away, not before nodding at Rex. He practically radiated mute horror at the state their brother was in. "Glad to have you back, vod."

As they left, Rex headed to the small ward that Cody had been in. He was still there, but out cold from a sedative. Rex's commlink beeped, calling him in for the first debriefing of many. Rex spared a moment to gingerly put his hand over Cody's. 

"I did it, ori'vod. I made it right." He whispered before snapping his helmet on and mentally prepping himself for the long hours ahead.