67

Ahsoka leaned against the rail of the catwalk overlooking the entrance to the sewers system. Caedus was down there. Somewhere. She trusted her men to handle themselves, but she couldn't shake a strange sort of guilt. As if she was purposefully sending them to die. 

A hand on her shoulder made her jump, sucking in a breath. Rex removed his hand quickly, holding both up in front of him. 

"Just me. Just me. Sorry, I didn't mean to sneak up on you." He apologized. Ahsoka relaxed, taking her hand off of her lightsaber hilt. He moved to stand next to her, glancing around before casually looping his arm around her waist. Ahsoka leaned her head against his shoulder for a fraction of a second before straightening up. 

"Vaughn reported in. He and his men have done a full sweep of the lower city, no sign of Caedus." Rex's voice hitched over the fallen general's name. She couldn't see his face through the helmet, but she knew the bitter expression he would be making. She let herself lean a little closer to him, not caring about the hard plastoid that kept her from really feeling him. 

"Do you feel it too?" She blurted it out, pulling back. Rex tipped his helmet at her strangely. "The... I don't know. Dread?" 

"That Vaughn is in trouble, even though he has yet to miss a check in and no distress calls have been sounded?" Rex sighed. Ahsoka nodded into his shoulder as he turned to hug her properly. Ahsoka relaxed, burying her head into the crook of his shoulder as he reached a gloved hand up to trace down her rear lekku. "Ahsoka, you're doing just fine. I know you're doubting your decisions, but believe me when I say there is nobody else I'd rather have as my general than you." 

Ahsoka bit her lip and pulled back, meeting his eyes through the tinted visor. She looked at the ground, voice hitching slightly. "I don't want to have another Ryloth." She whispered. Rex reached up and took off his helmet, tucking it carefully under his arm. he reached up with his free hand to cup the side of her face, lifting her chin ever so slightly so she could see his face. He gave a sad half smile. 

"That's what I'm here for. To be your guide. Do you trust me?" He asked softly. Ahsoka gave him a slightly watery grin. 

"Of course I do."

"While I appreciate the entertainment," A new voice spoke up from behind them. Ahsoka chuckled as Rex jumped. Dogma raised a skeptical eyebrow at them. "You two do realize we're on the clock, right?" Ahsoka laughed harder as Rex jammed his helmet on to cover his rapidly reddening ears. 

Ahsoka glanced at Dogma with a grin. "I guess we're just as bad as Skywalker." 

Dogma's lips twitched upwards in a smile. "Having had to sit in a briefing with both Senator Amidala and Skywalker, at least you have the decency to find a somewhat secluded area." Rex just hung his head and gave a small groan in the back of his throat, although Ahsoka knew he was smiling beneath his helmet. 

"We're dealing with the last of the bureaucrats, but Kryze thinks something's wrong. Cap-er...Commander Flip, sorry sir, is to reinforce Ursa at the docks while General Tano is aid Captain Vaughn. Me and the other Kryze will be backing you up." He reported, looking between the two of them. Ahsoka nodded, the unspoken words sticking in her throat as she glanced at Rex. Don't die out there. Don't let the men die out there. 

Instead, all that came out was, "I'll see you tonight." Rex nodded, turning and walking away briskly off to where Storm company was waiting a few blocks away. It wasn't Torrent, but they respected the mysterious commander well enough. 

Quin met her and Dogma at the entrance to the sewers. As usual, he kept silent. Dogma didn't know who he was. And there was no way he wouldn't recognize a clone's voice, even one heavily modulated through a helmet.