14

For the first time in a long, long time, Ahsoka had no nightmares. Her eyes fluttered open to find a familiar face above her. Rex was leaning against the rough canvas arm of the couch, in a position that couldn't have been comfortable. His arms were wrapped loosely around her, hugging her to his chest.

She smiled and squirmed a little, pulling herself up to kiss him gently. He smiled a little and pulled her closer, somewhere between dreaming and waking. He shifted a little, exposing the red creases along his cheek from resting his head on the rough cloth furniture. He rubbed at the marks sleepily and opened his eyes.

"Out of all the things I missed while I was away, I think I missed this the most." He whispered throatily, smiling a little more and kissing her on the forehead. Ahsoka sighed happily and nuzzled into his neck, nipping a little at the underside of his jaw with her sharp fangs.

"This is cute and all, sleeping on the floor like this, you do realize there's a little thing called a bed, right?" A grating voice came from around the corner making Rex jump and pull Ahsoka closer to him. She sat up a little so she could kiss him on the lips.

"It's ok, Rexie. She's ok, remember?" Ahsoka murmured soothingly in his ear. Rex took a deep breath and let it out slowly before nodding.

"I remember." He whispered back. Ventress snorted softly from the small kitchen area, and there was a clattering rustle and the chirp of the caf machine.

"Are you done yet? I think the other clone is dying." She called flatly. Ahsoka gave a small jolt.

"Fives." She yanked herself to her feet and stumbled a bit. Rex was standing in a flash, wrapping a supporting arm around her as she swayed a little. Fives was pale, his breath coming in ragged breaths as he moaned softly in his sleep and tossed his head back and forth.

She shook Rex off after she got her bearings and rushed to place a hand against the ARC trooper's cheek. Hot as a LT burner. Ahsoka fought down the slight panic and pressed her lips together.

"Rex, got any more of the fever stims?" She asked, brushing a hand over Fives's short cut hair. Rex nodded and pulled it out of the medkit, passing it to her. She took it without looking at him, her mind locking down into emergency mode. He held the other clone down as the needle slipped in, but Fives didn't so much as twitch. Once the plunger of the stim hit the nozzle, she sat back and pulled out the bacta spray and bandages.

"His hips, Rexie." She barked out, already moving to undo the tie holding the old bandages in place. Rex lifted the ARC so his hips and lower back were clear of the couch as Ahsoka began to unwrap them. He sucked in a breath as he saw the wound, the oily scab oozing with pus, the skin around it taunt and shiny. Red lines were creeping up from the area around the shot wound. Ahsoka looked at Rex.

"Rex, it'll take nothing short of a jedi to heal him." She whispered. "I can't..." she choked out, a terror in her eyes he had seldom seen. Rex cleaned his hands off.

"You don't have a choice. We're not losing him." His voice was so icy calm it was scary.

"But I can't use the force, and-" she started. Rex pressed his lips together.

"Do you remember one of the first lessons you taught me? The force is in every living being. Some have a natural affinity with it. Some have a natural abstinence. But it is still there." He recited, remembering her lecture. Ahsoka swallowed. Rex took her hands in his, and placed them gently over the wound. It was warm to the touch, the infection threatening to tear their friend apart from the inside out.

With an effort, Rex forced himself to reach outwards, expecting the pain of force burn to impede him. It never came. It was like the injury had never been there in the first place. Ahsoka gasped a little as Rex intangibly brushed her, a whisper of familiarity against her mind.