friends

what the hell were we?
tell me we weren't just friends
this doesn't make much sense
(friends by chase atlantic)

of course right when things seemed to be good- or at least getting better everything had to go to shit.

for atsumu he never really took anything in or let anything out.

bottling his emotions was his specialty.

on some occasions though the faux blonde would let everything out.

he was usually alone when this happened.

atsumu had went to a party with his best friend oikawa tooru.

he didn't expect to see his.. well he didn't expect to see kiyoomi there.

"omi-kun? whatcha doin here?" he asked as he approached the taller.

sakusa, obviously being on edge with all the people there at the party, didn't seem to be in the mood to tolerate atsumu right now.

"my cousin dragged here," the ace sighed.

"well i know a good place we can go. i mean if you want to get away from everything," the setter offered and kiyoomi nodded.

atsumu led the taller up to the roof. the party is at koutarou bokuto's house so atsumu had been here quite a few times.

"better up here?" the faux blonde asked.

"yeah thanks."

atsumu didn't quite know what to say. there was sort of an awkward silence between the two.

"well uh i'm glad to have a friend here to help," kiyoomi said looking out over the ledge.

"huh? who's yer friend?" the setter asked.

"you? who else?" kiyoomi shrugged.

"we're friends? b-but i thought?" atsumu looked confused and somewhere deep in his eyes hurt.

"thought what?" the ace asked oblivious.

"i-i thought we were.. more?" atsumu stuttered.

"wait. you thought- just because we've kissed and messed around a few times were more than friends?" kiyoomi was the one confused now.

"yeah but w-we said-"

"we said what? from what i remember we didn't say much of anything, and what was said certainly wasn't me asking you to be anything more than my friend."

"omi i.. i thought ya liked me," atsumu said quietly. his eyes were cast low and he felt that thing in his throat hurt from holding back tears.

"well sure i do. you're a good friend, and that's all."

"i can't be here anymore," was all the faux blonde muttered before going back inside.

kiyoomi wasn't sure what to do. his instinct was to self sabotage. what else could he do?

he knew he hurt atsumu's feelings, and in all honesty atsumu would be a great.. more than friend? boyfriend?