budding romance

i was given a chance at a budding romance
but i cowered away and took a defensive stance
i don't know what to say
i don't know how to play this game
(budding romance by james argenna)

miya atsumu had never done romance.

and neither had sakusa kiyoomi.

so how did they get into this situation?

well let me take you back...

it started when kiyoomi joined the msby black jackals.

it was a very good professional team so it's no wonder he joined after he graduated from university.

when he walked into the gym to see a very familiar faux blonde serving and then laughing with another set of familiar people anyone around wouldve said he had stars in his eyes.

the four all remembered each other from high school.

atsumu and sakusa quickly grew closer though.

they'd hang out outside of practice so much you'd think they were dating.

which sadly they weren't.

but after a few months of being close friends sakusa confronted atsumu.

"hey atsu?" the spiker says one day as they sit on opposite sides of the faux blonde's small couch.

"what's up omi?"

"i think we should start dating. everyone always thinks that we are. i mean if you're comfortable with it i-" so it turns out kiyoomi wasn't as good at confessions as he thought.

"woah omi slow down," atsumu said quietly.

"did i say something wrong?"

"no i just," the faux blonde paused. "what we have right now is really good. let me just.. think about it okay?"

"yeah okay."

over the next few weeks things were the same.

they were their usual touchy selves- well atsumu was the touchy one, but they'd still hang out frequently.

after a little while though atsumu started acting distant.

sakusa was confused since the faux blonde had never done anything like that before.

usually the longest they'd go without talking was like a day.

after about a week with no response from atsumu, kiyoomi decided he'd go to his apartment to just make sure everything is alright.

he knocked three times and it took a few seconds before the door opened.

"omi what are ya doing here?" atsumu asked. he looked tired.

"youve ghosted me the past week, why?" kiyoomi answered getting straight to the point. he's always been blunt.

"i haven't been ghosting you i just needed a break," the faux blonde responded after a beat of silence yet his voice sounded unsure.

"atsumu if there's something going on you can tell me," the spiker grabbed his setter's hand in an attempt of comforting him.

"i'm fine omi don't worry," atsumu subtly pulled his hand away. "i'll see you at practice tomorrow okay?"

"yeah i guess," kiyoomi mumbled before the faux blonde shut the door.

kiyoomi was confused. his heart was heavy because atsumu had never acted that cold to him.

and even when the faux blonde acted like he wanted nothing to do with kiyoomi he was still so mesmerizing.

the spiker thought he could watch the faux blonde all the time and never get bored.

after a couple more weeks of this weird friendly coldness atsumu was giving off kiyoomi decided to confront him about it yet again.

who knew the raven could be so confrontational.

so one day after practice kiyoomi cornered the faux blonde in the locker room.

"why have you been avoiding me?"

"i'm not," atsumu mumbled keeping his eyes focused on the ground.

"atsu just be honest," the raven takes his hand placing it under the faux blonde's chin lifting his face so they could look into each other's eyes.

"omi i.." the faux blonde paused. "i don't know how to say it."

"just say what you feel," kiyoomi willed himself not to brush his thumb against atsumu's slightly pouting lips.

"i-i like ya lot and i wanna date ya but.." the setter trailed off.

"but..?" kiyoomi drawled on.

"but i don't know how okay! i've never been in a super serious relationship and i don't want to mess us up!" atsumu's face was bright red and he was just about trembling.

"youve never been in a serious relationship before..?" the spiker asked highly surprised.

"that's what i said," atsumu mumbled looking to the side.

"atsumu you should've just said so. we can take it slow if you want or if you don't want to thats fine too-"

"i want to," the faux blonde cut him off.

"okay so then we'll take it slow," kiyoomi said with a small smile to which atsumu beamed.

"can i kiss ya?"

"not if i kiss you first."

let's just say there were very soft and giggly moments that night that the two of them will never forget.

~~~

this was kinda short but i really needed to post something
i'll have a few more chapters out soon hopefully!! :)