Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Previously: Nate had insisted that he had great jokes, which had actually turned out to be incredibly lame and embarrassing jokes. He had asked, "Why did the cook get arrested?" And when I shrugged, he answered "because he beat up an egg!" And started guffawing at his own joke. Which was terribly embarrassing, since the joke wasn't even funny. Talk about lame. But cute. I fell asleep with a smile on my face, hugging my pillow tightly and wishing that Nate was there next to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Who's that? Did she just transfer here?"

"I don't know, but she's hot!"

I grinned as Nate glared at the guy who made the comment and slung his arm around my shoulders. I would be lying if I said I wasn't liking his possessiveness. I couldn't help but smile at his annoyed face as we entered the cafeteria for lunch.

We weaved our way through the crowd and slid into the seats beside Lilia and the rest of the guys at our usual table. Their jaws dropped as they took in the sight of me.

"So you're the hot new girl everyone's been talking about." Chase broke the silence, grinning at me. "Damn, I thought I'd found my new target. I was looking forward to taking her out on a date. But just to ask, you interested?"

"Too late bro, I heard she's taken already," Ethan smirked as he winked at me and Nate. I felt a blush creeping up my cheeks as he and Chase shared a knowing look. I glanced around the table. James looked stony as usual, though I realised he was helping Lilia open her drink, how sweet! Rick looked deep in thought, which was highly unusual, while Brad shifted uncomfortably in his seat. Oh shit. I totally forgot that Brad had also confessed that he liked me that day. Well, you couldn't blame me, he had been absent from school for quite a few days after catching a flu or something. I hadn't seen him since then.

"I'm just gonna go get some lunch first." I smiled and made my way towards the lunch queue. It was getting kinda awkward just sitting there.

"Hey," Brad's voice interrupted my thoughts as I stood in line. I turned and there he was, standing behind me with an uncomfortable look on his face.

"Oh, hey Brad," I tried in vain to calm my thoughts. What if I had hurt him? Maybe I should've just clarified that I didn't have feelings for him in the first place. But I did have some funny feelings for him, if I actually thought about it...

"So, I uh... I heard about you and Nate. Well... As much as it pains me to say this, congrats. But I just wanted to let you know that if Nate ever starts being a douche, I'm still here," Brad smiled warmly and flashed his pearly-whites.

"Thank you," I felt as if a load was off my chest. Jeez, whoever said that jocks were nothing but a bunch of handsome heartless jerks was definitely lying. Or most probably had just gotten dumped by one of those jocks.

After grabbing my lunch, I headed back to the table where Chase and the rest of the guys were already stuffing their faces with food.

"Hey guys! Sorry I'm late, I was just finishing up one of my assignments in class."

Setting down my tray, I looked up to see Ashley approaching our table. Rick's face seemed to light up when he caught sight of her and Ethan stopped pigging out almost immediately.

"Hope you guys don't mind, I invited Ashley to sit with us at lunch," Ethan grinned as he gestured for Ashley to sit beside him. Rick's expression darkened a little, and I could feel the jealousy rolling off him in waves beside me.

"I'll go get you some food," Ethan gave her a suave smile as he got up from his seat. Damn. Rick wasn't even gonna stand a chance against Ethan if he just sat there doing nothing. I kicked his shin from under the table to snap him out of his daze.