Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Previously: "So when do I start?" I asked, eager to start my new tutoring job. This would be way too easy. An hour later, my draining tutoring session with Nate had finally ended. My phone buzzed in my pocket. Yasmin. "We just got news. A nerd has broken the golden rule. She isn't a virgin."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My phone almost slipped from my hands.

My knees buckled. I felt weak, as if my legs had turned into jelly. I slipped my phone back into my pocket shakily, my hands cold and clammy. My heart seemed to be thumping a thousand miles per minute, and the trees, the gate, the pretty lawn seemed to blur all together.

They had found out.

They had found out that I wasn't a virgin.

They had found out about my life at night.

I would be ridiculed. I would be looked down upon. I would lose all my pride and dignity. I would be an outcast. I would be expelled from school. My life would be ruined. I would have let my mother down.

I felt a tinge of wetness on my shoes, and looked down to see a small, dark circle staining my canvas shoes. I lifted a hand to brush my cheek. I was crying, I realised. In front of Nate's house. If he just looked out of his window or any of the glass walls, he would see me sobbing my eyes out. As if he hadn't already thought I was weird.

I hurriedly wiped my tears away and ran towards the gate. The gates opened a few steps before I reached it. Realisation dawned on me. Nate was watching. Either that, or the gate was automatic.

I turned and sprinted out of the compounds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stood outside the wooden door of the club room. This was it. The end. I took a deep breath, and placed my hand on the handle, pushing it open quietly. Rule number forty-six. Just as well behave like a nerd for the last few minutes.

All their heads turned, and my heart leapt into my throat. The entire nerd club was there. They all had on grave looks, especially Yasmin. She was giving me a look of disappointment.

"You're late, Abigail."

"I'm sorry," I croaked out, feeling dizzy.

"Take a seat," she gestured to an empty seat right next to her. I inhaled sharply, forcing my wobbly legs to move.

I sat down quietly, feeling all the heavy stares on me.

Yasmin cleared her throat. "We have just received news that a nerd member has broken the golden rule. Let me ask again. What is the golden rule?" her cold gaze swept across the silent room. I swallowed, fidgeting.

Yasmin shot a look at me. "What's the golden rule, fellow nerd Abigail Brown?"

My nails bit into my palm painfully. "Uh... Um...." I looked around the room, telling myself not to cry. "Every nerd must be a virgin."

Yasmin nodded. "That is correct. And what happens if a fellow nerd member breaks that rule?"

She looked at me, but someone behind raised her hand. Yasmin's fierce gaze fixed onto the nerd behind. "Yes, fellow nerd Wilma Woods?"

Wilma fidgeted nervously. "You would be kicked out of the nerd club immediately."

Yasmin nodded approvingly. "That is correct." Her eyes went on to stare at every member again. This was one of the rare times that Yasmin was so fierce and serious. When she was behaving like this, it was really scary.

"As of now, we have found out who is the nerd that broke the golden rule. And today, it will be her last day of being a fellow nerd in the nerd club."

My breathing hitched.

Yasmin took out a pink sheet of paper. The sheet of paper that would have my photo on it, and the words NO LONGER AN ACCEPTED NERD. It sounded dumb, especially for smart and incredibly hardworking people like us, but it was a symbol. Pink, because it was girly. Nerds were discouraged to use bright colours, especially pink.

Yasmin looked up silently.

My stomach churned. I closed my eyes briefly. She would call my name. Abigail Brown. A stripper. My life would be ruined from that moment onwards.

"Lilia Johnson."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note: Thanks to all readers! Please Vote, Comment, and maybe Fan? XD It would reallyyyy mean a lot to me! :D Hugs and kisses

Celphia