Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Previously: During the first lesson, the announcement blared through the speakers. "Miss Abigail Brown, please come to the principal's office. The principal would like to see you." My classmates had snickered gleefully, knowing that I was going to get in trouble. In a daze, I packed my things and went to the principal's office. And that was when I received one of the worst news in my life.

"Miss Brown, in light of recent events, you are suspended."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made my way to the cafeteria during lunch, looking around for Brad and Ashley. It wasn't difficult, considering how most people still avoided me like the plague, clearing a route for me to walk through.

"Look! It's the slut!"

"I heard she got suspended by the principal."

"Serves her right!"

"I can't believe she still dares to come in here!"

I guess news travelled fast around here. I had gotten used to the things said about me by now, including the constant glaring and whispering. Okay, I admit. I wasn't used to it at all, but it was getting just the teeniest, weeniest bit easier to endure now. After all, I would be out of this school by the end of today. But what surprised me was that Brad and Ashley weren't alone. James was there too.

"Hey." I slipped into the seat beside Brad as Ashley cast me a worried glance.

"What they're all saying... Is it true that you got suspended?" Ashley furrowed her eyebrows.

"Yeah. The principal gave me the rest of the day to tie up some loose ends. He wants me out by tomorrow." I looked away, the hard truth of my suspension slowly starting to sink in. What was I going to do? Getting a good education was probably one of my only chances of escaping the life I had now. The life of a stripper. I felt as if I was letting mom down. What would she say if she wasn't in a coma right now?

"Abby... I'm so sorry, if there's anything we could do to help... I could lend you some money first or something..." Ashley started, her gaze filled with worry. Brad's lips were pressed into a thin line. Even James who'd been silent all this while had an expression of guilt on his face.

"Abigail," I looked up to see Chase, Ethan and Rick approaching. No Nate. I felt my heart sink.

"Hi."

"So um... We heard you got suspended," Chase began, stuttering awkwardly.

"So I've heard."

"Brad told us about why you had to do it. And about Lilia being a total bitch. So we just wanted to say that we're really, really sorry for being such jerks. We shouldn't have let the rest of the school influence us. We're really sorry Abigail," Rick continued, glancing sheepishly at the ground. James stiffened upon hearing Lilia's name. I guess he wasn't over her yet.

"You told them about my past?" I looked towards Brad. It wasn't that I was angry with him, it just felt weird to have so many people know about it.

"It just slipped out of my mouth during the class I had with Rick... I'm sorry if you didn't want them to know, I guess I just assumed..." Brad trailed off, looking a little panicky.

I noticed James rolling his eyes out of the corner of my eye, as did Brad.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Brad glared at James.

"What? I just thought that you weren't respecting Abigail's privacy enough. Did you even ask her before you told the whole world about her past?" James retorted, leaning forward.

"Well, it wouldn't be the first time someone let slip of something they weren't supposed to say, would it?" Brad stood up, slamming his fist on the table. The cafeteria went silent as all heads turned in our direction. "If you hadn't told that two-faced bitch about Abigail's secret she wouldn't have been suspended!"

"Don't call her that!" James stood from his seat and clenched his fists, fixing Brad with a cold stare. Tension hung in the air like a heavy fog.

"What? So now you're defending her? Have you forgotten about what she did to Abigail?" Brad had a look of disbelief and anger plastered on his face. I instinctively got up and tugged on his hand to try to calm him down.

"Cool it, James. That slut isn't worth fighting with your best friend over--" Ethan started, but was quickly cut off as James flung his fist towards his face. Ethan moved out of his way swiftly and dodged his fist nimbly. Which resulted in the blow heading straight for me.

Pain. That was the next thing my mind registered as I felt James' fist connect with my head. Boy, it sure felt as if his fist was made of steel. My head was spinning and I could hardly think straight.

"What the fuck was that for?" Ethan flared.

I vaguely saw Brad shaking with anger before he threw a punch at James' gut and rushed over.

"Abigail! Are you alright?" Brad's worried face was a blur as I struggled to focus my thoughts.

My eyelids felt heavy as I blacked out momentarily, and the next thing I knew I was being lifted into Brad's strong arms.

"I'm taking her to the nurse's office."

"I'm coming too."

"Make sure she's okay!"

"Look what's you've done!"

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to..."

"Fuck, James!"

"I wonder if she's faking it."

"Looks kinda real..."

"Who knows? She's capable of anything."

The whispering started all around me, and I was thankful to Brad as he quickened his pace out of the cafeteria. My mind was in a whirl and the black spots in front of my eyes hadn't gone away.

I unconsciously leaned my head against his broad shoulders for comfort. It felt... Nice.

It felt like déjà vu. After all, Brad had been the one to carry me to the nurse's office after I got hit during the volleyball match.

Except that now, I was actually grateful for his presence.

Now, James and the other guys were at odds with each other.

Now, my whole life was a mess.

I guess only one thing remained constant.

Nate wasn't here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note: Fan, Vote, Comment! :D thanks guysss <3